Wetsuit ideal fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

subvet644

Reaction score
Newbie question on proper fit of a 7mm full wetsuit. I get to "splash" next week and will be using a suit provided by my LDS/instructor for OW cert. I have no reason to question their recommended fit when I go to purchase my own, but a second or third opinion never hurts. What should be acceptable "range of motion" for arms? Do I need to be able to extend them straight about my head? How much will the suit limber up in the water? I tried several searches but didn't find any info. Thanks in advance for any tips and thanks to everyone for the wealth of info you've shared with everyone on this forum!

My thick wetsuit is snug but I am able to still have almost the same full range of motion in the suit as I do out of the suit. Yes, with a snug suit I do need to pull against the neoprene. The suit should not be so tight that it restricts your breathing or anything like that, but it needs to be tight enough to prevent or dramatically reduce rapid water migration throughout the suit.

I hope this helps,

Mark Vlahos

If your face is purple when you've put it on then you know it's a good fit :wink:

Seriously, I think you should try to have enough arm flexibility to reach back and grab your tank valve (or at least the regulator hose where it comes out of the first stage). This is assuming you could do this when you're not wearing the suit.

I've personally not noted that my 7mm suit gets any looser (or limber) in the water, but your mileage may vary.

I dive a lot in a 7mm and it definitely fits differently than my 3mm or other wetsuits. However, you should still have a good range of motion. I believe it does feel better in the water, but that's just my opinion. I dive an Akona 7mm that I bought online, and I love it. It fits great, it's tough, and it's warm.
Good luck!

I've only done 7 mm diving in my few dives, but I've never had a problem with mobility....this last dive I wore a 1 mm under the 7 mm for the 58 degree water and it was great!!!! But change in mobility? Not that I noticed. there shouldn't be any gaps once the suit is zipped up as that will prevent the water from getting locked between the suit and your body and water circulation within the suit will drastically reduce your body temperature.

It should be a nice close fit with just a hint of compression. There should be no spaces that will contain water volume except perhaps the crotch. It must not help you exhale or hinder your breathing. Range of motion.. touch your toes, as well as in trunks. Hands straight up and to oposing shoulders with no undue resistance. As mentioned the suit may do some stretching in these positions but should not be under tension to the point where you cannot perform a task, like working a valve in these positions.

Fit is everyting and not every brand may fit you well, size and cut is very varriable.

When wetness gets into the suit it will enhance your mobility further.

Pete

Different thickness' of wetsuits will feel different. A snug 3mil feels different than a snug 5 mil, which feels different than a snug 7 mil. The thicker the suit, the less range of motion you will have due to pinching of material at flex points. If your a cold water diver, its a good idea to get a wetsuit that gives you the mils you need to stay warm, but also gives you options at joints that provide greater flexibility and range of motion. The biggest concern is that the core of the suit...around your torso, fits tightly enough to prevent constant migration of water. The seals around arms, legs, and neck should also fit well to prevent inflow of cold water. You DONT want the suit to be so tight however that it cuts off circulation. This is especially crucial with a hood in cold water. A hood that is too tight can restrict blood flow in the neck area..(carotid arteries), and can also impair your ability to equalize.

Most new divers are unprepared for what a well fitting wetsuit should feel like. Most feel they are too tight, simply because they are not used to something fitting that tight. A neoprene wetsuit will expand slightly once it gets wet. The thin layer of water between your skin and the wetsuit is what insulates and keeps you warm, but it also provides a "slip layer" such that the wetsuit isnt as adhered to your skin as when you are dry.

So the keys for a good fit are....tight around arm/leg seals. Snug around neck...snug around skin, but not so much to restrict blood flow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom