Wetsuit layering question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am diving in Maui in April. I have a henderson 3mm Hyperstretch full suit. I tend to get pretty cold when I dive so I was wondering if layering is a good solution. Would laying with a shorty work or do I need a core warmer? The core warmers tend to be more expensive and harder to find. I have been told that layering with a shorty will restrict my arms too much. Also, how thick should I go with the shorty/core warmer? Any advice will be helpful!

I typically dive with a full length 3mm suit. When I need some extra protection I add a 2mm hooded vest. Sometimes I'll use the hood, sometimes not. The vest is sleeveless so no constriction issues.

I dove in Maui in January of 2008 in a shorty. I was not cold at all. Hope that helps. I couldn't imagine diving in a full suit.

I tend to get pretty cold when I dive so I was wondering if layering is a good solution.

I also tend to get cold even in warm waters. For tropical dives, I use a 5mm full wetsuit (and a lycra body underneath). Some people tell me that's too much, but I feel pretty confortable and don't get cold! :D

If I think it's too hot, just open the ziper a little and it's all ok again!

Besides, you have to consider if it's worth buying a new suit for just one trip - unless you plan to go to places like Maui more times.

Good luck and happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom