wetsuit on a budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wheeliejerm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First, I'm a new diver on a budget. I will split my time between the panhandle of Florida and southern lakes and quarries, with the occasional tripto the caribbean. I'm trying to find that ever elusive one suit that fits all. I'm thinking a neosport 3mm farmer john with a 5mm step in jacket for the quarries. My worry is that the 3mm should do fine in warmer lakes and gulf, but will the legs of the 3mm be enough with the step in 5mm in colder quarries and lakes. That'd be 8mm core, 5mm arms, 3mm legs, and 5mm gloves hood and boots. Also, at 6'2", the sizing chart says i need a 2x but the waist will be about 3 sizes too large.What do you guys think? Thanks for the help.:confused:

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't think there is a good answer to be had on the internet for you. It really depends on your tolerance of "cold" and the temperatures of the waters you are diving. I have a couple of dive buddies that dove 3mm shorties for a week of diving in the Bahamas in early March with water temps in the low 70's and were perfectly comfortable all week. I had a full 3mm suit and by the 3rd day of diving was freezing and wanting something much warmer. I have another dive buddy that wears 5mm in Cozumel in the summer with water in the 80's and is getting cold by the 4th day where I think my full 3mm is a little over kill sometimes.

When I was diving fresh water quarries in the northern IN and OH I used a 5mm farmer john with full hood, gloves and boots. On the 2nd or 3rd dive in water in the 60's I was getting pretty darn cold. As I have aged my tolerance of temperature has gone down. I get cold much easier than I use too. I want to get back into some local fresh water diving but the temps start to bother me after the 3rd thermo on longer dives so I am considering getting a dry suit.

So basically after all that rambling, I am trying to say only you are going to know what works for you because you will get advice that you will be fine with the combo you mentioned and others that will say you will freeze. The best advice is to experiment. Rent different combo's and see what works best for you. Good luck and enjoy the dives!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found that what gets cold on me first is my cheeks and the underside of my arms. Having the thickness in the jacket will fix the coldness in the underside of the arms. Pouring hot water in the farmer john will help keep the lower extremities warm. Try what you are planning. If your legs get cold, buy a second farmer john at 5mm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom