Wetsuit or hooded vest over 3mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a 3mm full wetsuit + hood and gloves. Most of my diving is tropical, the suit seals well and doesnt flush water easily. Once water temp get below 24c it can be a little chilly. I've dived it down to 20c on a warm day in shallow water(10m) with no thermoclines and was mostly fine with a decent surface interval to warm up. After a recent trip I've decided to get some warmer for those colder dives. Should I look at 5mm or 7mm (maybe a 7/5)wetsuit or use a hooded vest with my 3mm? I'm fairly cold tolerant but don't want to waste money on a hooded vest if I should have gone for a wetsuit. Not considering real cold water diving until a dry suit is an option.

I have 3, 5, and 7mm wetsuits and a drysuit. I kind of wish I had not bought a 7mm. I pretty much never wear it. If it's too cold for a 5mm, I go dry. The thickness of a 5 doesn't bother me. The 7mm just crosses that line into Annoyingly Thick.

I'm with @stuartv on this one.

My exposure suits are (in order of temp)

1. Lavacore/Sharkskin
  2. 3mm Full
  3. Combination of 3mm and Sharkskins
  4. Drysuit
I do have a 5/7 and a 7mm but rarely wear them.

I did this year choose to wear my5/7 becuase the air temps were unseasonable hot (aboe 90F) but the water hadn't warmed up (72F). Unfortunately I picked up my 7mm by mistake. While I was fine in the water (if I flushed) I did set the fastest time on the surface for climbing out of a suit....

I have 3, 5, and 7mm wetsuits and a drysuit. I kind of wish I had not bought a 7mm. I pretty much never wear it. If it's too cold for a 5mm, I go dry. The thickness of a 5 doesn't bother me. The 7mm just crosses that line into Annoyingly Thick.

Stuart, I follow the same reasoning as you! I have a 3mm shorty, 3mm full, 5mm full...and then it is drysuit. I am using the Henderson Thermaxx line which I find thinner than equivalent "mm" thickness suits and suspect I have convinced myself that they provide equivalent warmth.

I have a 3/2 full wetsuit & a vest (not hooded). I personally like this combo because when traveling it offers several options without paying too much of a penalty in terms of packing. If the water is warmer than expected, I can get by with a swimsuit & rash guard. If I get a bit chilly, I can add my vest. If that isn't quite enough, then I switch to my 3/2 wetsuit. If I need more, then I put the vest on too. If I am still cold, I take the hint and sit out a few dives to let my core temp warm up.

If I am doing a LOB in nice warm water (78-80F / 25-27C), I will typically dive with the 3/2 wetsuit during the day and add the vest if I am doing a night dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom