Wetsuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lisa0825

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Newly certified, getting ready for first dive trip, so sorry if this is a silly question:05:

Do you always wear a wetsuit? What about Shorties? What about sets that are similar to a t-shirt and bike shorts? I found the wetsuit to be uncomfortable in my elbows and knees especially. I like the idea of a shorty. I did a resort dive once in just a bikini, but granted it was July in Cancun. I don't get cold all that easily. Could I get away with a shorty or no wetsuit, and if so, what water temp do you think would be the cut-off for that?

Lisa,
Yours is one of those questions that is strictly subjective in nature. No one can answer that for you.
Each diver's physilology is different and each diver responds to temperatures in different ways.
The temperature of the water, the amount of exertion required by the dive, the number of dives you're doing, the surface weather conditions, your level of hydration, and numerous other factors play into what type of thermal protection you will need for a specific dive.
One thing that anyone would need to know to answer, even remotely, your question would be your destination, the time of year and the depths to which you likely will be diving.

the K

The Kraken:
Lisa,
Yours is one of those questions that is strictly subjective in nature. No one can answer that for you.
Each diver's physilology is different and each diver responds to temperatures in different ways.
The temperature of the water, the amount of exertion required by the dive, the number of dives you're doing, the surface weather conditions, your level of hydration, and numerous other factors play into what type of thermal protection you will need for a specific dive.
One thing that anyone would need to know to answer, even remotely, your question would be your destination, the time of year and the depths to which you likely will be diving.

the K

My plan was to go to Cozumel Nov 12. I don't know if I will postpone it or change the location. I won't be going very deep to begin with. My certification dives were only down to 28 ft, and I want to ease myself into deeper dives while I develop skills and comfort level.

My certification dives were at a water temp of 78 degrees. I did the first one with no wetsuit. It was chilly, but not too bad, but granted it was only for about 20 minutes. The second day, I wore a wetsuit and was plenty warm.

Is there a place where I could look up current water temps for different places?

You may want to try the NOAA site to check out seasonal water temps in your desired dive destination.

A 3mm "shortie" may be just right for you, but who knows???

One thing you can do to keep a good bit of warmth in the body is to buy a diving "beanie". The beanie is a thin neoprene hood that easily slips on the head.
It's amazing how much heat they will keep in the body.

Many people will dive a shortie and keep a 2 or 3mm jacket in reserve in case they start becoming chilled on repetitive dives.

Hope you guys can find a good place to dive!

the K

Wetsuits aren't just for warmth, they provide protection too. Nothing like getting stung by bits of jellyfish that you can't even see floating in the water. A dive skin can provide protection without being restrictive. They also make it easier to don your wetsuit if you are going to wear one.
Ber :lilbunny:

Thanks a bunch! I will keep your suggestions in mind while I shop!:)

Ber Rabbit:
Wetsuits aren't just for warmth, they provide protection too. Nothing like getting stung by bits of jellyfish that you can't even see floating in the water. A dive skin can provide protection without being restrictive. They also make it easier to don your wetsuit if you are going to wear one.

Dive skin! That was something I was trying to think of, and I couldn't remember what it was called! Thanks for the input!:10:

I always wear a wetsuit even in the warmest of waters because I want the extra protection against any marine life or coral or even shipwrecks. You never know what can scrape you down there.

Lisa0825:
Dive skin! That was something I was trying to think of, and I couldn't remember what it was called! Thanks for the input!:10:

You're welcome :D They make some skins that are lined with polarfleece so you get a little warmth and they are pretty soft against your skin.

I'd definitely recommend wearing a full suit of some kind...whether it be a 3mm or a dive skin for the exposure protection. The suit not only helps you stay warm, but it protects you from things in the water...whether that be critters or rocks.

If you found a regular neoprene wetsuit uncomfortable, I recommend that you try on a Henderson Hyperstretch, or another super-stretchy wetsuit on the market. I won't wear anything but a Hyperstretch suit since I find neoprene ones to be extremely restricting and uncomfortable.

The other thing to consider when picking exposure protection is not only water temperature, but how much diving you're going to be doing. If I'm just doing 2 tanks, I'll wear my 3mm full suit down to about 70 degree water. If I'm doing repetitive diving over multiple days, I'll wear a 5mm suit starting in water as warm as 82 degrees.

But like Kraken said, wet suit choice is extremely personal and there are no universal rules.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom