Wetsuit Thickness For Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimisurf

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

Looking at a trip to Coz in a month (after a little jaunt to Thailand). Seeing as I have only been in the fridgid waters of the PNW, what level of protection is required in Cozumel? I would prefer to go full length, if it is not out of the quesion heat wise...

Thank You,

Jimi

If you like full length Stay with a 3/2. Water has generally been in 80's.

Hallmac

When we were in Coz, we saw people diving in swim shorts and t-shirts to shorties and all the way up to a full 5mm+. My preference is to wear a 3mm full suit. My wife wears 5mm (because she gets cold easy).

Here is my reasoning:
1. I am used to buoyancy control and weights needed for my 3mm so I use it everywhere
2. If I get too warm (has not happened yet), I can just pull the neck back and let some cool water in
3. While in Coz, we were diving 3-4 times per day. Other people with us in shorties or no wet suits were quitting early because they were cold. We stayed under till there was no more air. We never once considered stopping a dive for cold.

I figure with everything you paid to get under the water, you want to make it last. Being comfortable helps make it so you can dive as much as you want.

jimisurf

I use a full Henderson Microprene and my wife uses an O'Neil Miroflece. Both are 1/2mm and work fine. I wear it more for protection rather than warmth. Any full suit you wear will be fine. As others have said, many do dive with 5mm's but I would die in that.

all4diving

:sharky:

Water in the 80's and you're thinking about wearing more than trunks?

Everyone handles the water temps differently so it's hard for others to recommend what wetsuit thickness you will be comfortable in. I'm assuming you will be doing a lot of diving so keep in mind you will be losing body heat over several days. Water temps are typically in the low 80's in Coz but your body temp is way above that so you will have to compensate for the loss of heat. I get cold fairly easily so I usually wear a 3 mil beanie, O"Neil 0.5 mil full suit, a 3 mil shorty with long sleeves and my BC has a 2 mil vest, so I have extra coverage for my torso. Since you're not sure what you'll need, take more protection than what you think you'll need, preferably layers, and that way you can add or subtract neoprene as needed. You're going to have a great time! :)

Thermal comfort is somewhat idiosyncratic.

To put it in perspective, below is a piece, in part, from my June '00 "Ask RSD" column in "Rodale's Scuba Diving":

"Have you ever been out on the street in the spring or fall and noticed people wearing everything from shorts & T-shirts to full coats with hats & scarves, all apparently in comfort? Well, things are no different underwater. This comfort is highly variable among individuals depending on such factors as percentage of body fat, age & tolerance to thermal discomfort. Other determinants, like how many dives a day over how many days you are planning, are also important. When you ask 'What wetsuit should I wear?,' you'll get answers ranging all the way from 'just a bathing suit' through '5 mm full.'

The question is better asked: 'What water temps can I anticipate at my destination?' You'll receive a pretty accurate answer to this, and then can decide what's best for you based on your personal thermal comfort needs.

It's always a good idea to come thermally prepared, just in case."

That having been said, next month look for Coz water temps of ~82 degrees. Personally, if was doing multiple dives over multiple days at that temp, I'd take a 3mm full & beanie, although you being a PNW diver might find that excessive.

Whatever you decide, just a bathing suit is an unwise idea. Because Coz is drift diving in currents that sometimes can be powerful & changing, it's smart to wear a full body covering of some sort, even if it's just a skin.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Thank You all very much for the prompt replies. I beieve that I will go for a full 3 or 3/2. I'll forsake the beenie (if I'm still cold, I'll pick one up). I think that given my 5' 10" 160 lb frame I best try to keep warm; I plan to dive as much as I can!!!

Thanks Again!!

Jimi

It's much easier to cool down a bit in too much wetsuit, e.g., open a zipper, let some water in at the neck & cuffs, than to try to warm yourself in too little wetsuit.

Do have fun.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom