wetsuit thickness to water temp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the Kraken, but again, just looking for a basic baseline guide.

Like most, I am a slave to the paycheck and don't have as many assets as I would like.

Thank you all for your input. To me, it is ALL valuable! :thumb:

since your in CO if your not traveling for your diving id start at about a 5-7mm semi dry, and check out dry suits

here's my take---

less than 72---drysuit
72-75 3 ML
75+ 0.5MM or nothing.

Skip the 5MM and 7MM..just go dry instead--you can wear as little or as much as you want underneath the drysuit---7MM suits are unmanagable IMHO and a 5MM won't keep you warm enough in lower temps

If you're planning to dive a lot, even warm water starts to feel cold. Just to put it into perspective, if the water was 82F, I would be wearing a 7mm because I'd be planning to do lots of diving in a day (and probably lots of diving the next day and the day after and the one after that....).

I'm actually almost to the point where I would take my drysuit with me on warm water diving vacations.

But you need to know if you are generally a warm or cold person....and how much you plan to dive. For me, I'm always cold and I always dive a lot....nothing less than a 7mm is sufficient.

As you have seen, most everyone on this post has been telling you what works for them. Which is the best advice you can get. Some other things to keep in mind is the depth you are diving, the activity you are involved in, your own body composition (Fat vs thin) each factor will affect your choice in a suit.

As for me, I dive in northern New England, predominantly in southern Maine and New Hampshire. The warmest our ocean temps rise to is about 65 degrees. River temps in the summer may get to mid 70's, but for the most part it is cool water diving. I am a "light" commercial diver, self employed in the underwater services area, hull cleaning (Sounds like you fastbttms), zincs, props, moorings, salvage, inspections. I have suits for all the different ranges of temperatures that I dive.

I am most always comfortable in a wet suit. I use a 5mm in the warmer waters, then as the temperature drops, I sart to "layer' up. Changing the dive hood to a hooded vest, using dive skins, then goiong to the 7mm, still with the dive skins and hooded 5mm vest. then, when the water temps get below 45degrees, I switch to a drysuit.

Of particular note, during my work days, I am diving hard, swimming and working hard underwater hull cleaning keeps you in shape (I've cleaned over 6,000 boats underwater) working hard, keeping the blood pumping, will help you stay warm. Also, similar to the "Old grumpy guys" above, I am more like a walrus... 55 years old, 5'11" 245lbs and set in my ways. I stay in the wetsuit until the water gets below 45 or until Dec 1st. Then I get back into a wetsuit some time in April depending on the water temps and the work load.

Which ever way you chose to go, wet or dry... 5mm or 7mm the "fit" of the suit is crucial. If you can afford the extra money, get a custom made suit. It is well worth it if you intend to dive for a long time. If you are new to diving and you don't know if you are going to enjoy this hobby, start off with a stock, off the shelf inexpensive suit first and then go to a better one.

Hope this helps you,
Wayne
Marine Clean underwater maintenance services

Also think about the suits compression at depth. A 5mm won't be a 5mm at 100ft.

Back
Top Bottom