• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

wetsuit thickness?

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by Divenut1959, Feb 25, 2019.

1. UFOrb

UFOrb Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I’ll try again!...

4 dives per day... so liveaboard around Similans, Surin, Mergui Archipelago?

The OP has said he'll be diving from day boats out of Phuket, max 3 dives per day.
    He also said he was comfortable in a 3mm in water temps of 78F (25-26C) and was thinking 3mm might be too much for Thailand.
    Are you still advocating a 5mm full in that case?

2. String

String Master Instructor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    A 5mm or possibly a 7mm yes.
    Seeing far too many shaking, freezing customers and people skipping dives at the moment, especially in the 24-25c.

Ive still never seen a single person too hot on a dive anywhere in the world. I have however seen hundreds too cold on a dive in many places.

3. stevenl

stevenl Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Agreed with you about not being able to get too warm.

But recommending a thick suit knowing the OP goes to an area where the water is 29 centigrade, because your customers are cold in a different area with much colder water, simply makes no sense.

4. Barmaglot

Barmaglot Manta Ray

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    :shocked:
    7mm in Thailand?
    I won't claim that no one uses such wetsuits there, but in five trips, I have yet to see one.

I went to a Red Sea liveaboard last October, and fearing that it might get chilly, I bought a 5mm hooded two-piece suit beforehand. Did two dives with it and hated every moment. Getting in and out of it was a chore, I had to carry a bunch of extra weights, my buoyancy was all over the place, and yes - I did get hot in it. The hood was particularly annoying, as it muffled the hissing of air entering my BCD - I never realized that I relied on that as feedback, but it turns out that I do. Fortunately I packed my 3mm shorty, which I used for the rest of the trip without issues.

5. Mr. Sunday

Mr. Sunday Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    I’m here now and just got off the boat. The water was considerably colder than usual. About 78-79f. Not just the typical thermalclimes. I used a 3mm full and rash guard but wish I had had a hood or vest to add. Which of course I left in Khao Lak thinking I would not need. I do get cold pretty easily after 4 dives a day back to back. Water was green and very bad visibility. Hope you get better than we did.

6. UFOrb

UFOrb Barracuda

Don't forget the OP is not planning a liveaboard out of Khao Lak, he'll be diving day boats out of Phuket.
    stevenl has already confirmed the water is warming up in that area (currently 29c I believe), where they are not as exposed to ocean currents.

7. Mr. Sunday

Dive all those as well. Water was a bit warmer perhaps but the conditions just as bad.

8. UFOrb

UFOrb Barracuda

Shame. Did you see any big stuff to make up for the poor vis?

9. Mr. Sunday

Unfortunately no. Vis was similar to what I would expect in Seattle. Pea Soup....

Still had fun and met some great people. Headed to Komodo for round two liveaboard on Saturday. Hopefully makes up for it.

UFOrb likes this.
  10. UFOrb

UFOrb Barracuda

Same as here in Brighton too then! But warmer than both at least!!!

Mr. Sunday likes this.