Wetsuit Upgrade?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChillyWaters

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, winter is quickly approaching, and that means dives will also be getting a bit chillier. Last year it was my fingers that froze, but this could be a result of a cold core as well. While I am considering getting mitts for the winter, I might also upgrade my wetsuit.

Frank Whites has a sale on drysuits, which makes me consider that lofty upgrade, but, alas, I think I might just upgrade my wetsuit. I don't know where I'll be in a year (geographically), plus I'm _still_ a student.

Anyways, my not-so-favourite dive shop sells farmer john wetsuits, which is what I have currently. (My second hand suit is extremely old and worn.) I'm considering just getting one of the pieces to see if it helps much. Now, which piece should I upgrade first? The pants, or the jacket?

On a side note, my not-so-favourite dive shop has a killer deal though. Buy each of the pieces for $149.95, or (hold your breath, this is amazing), both pieces for $300.00. Oh... my... god... that is a good deal.

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
Well, winter is quickly approaching, and that means dives will also be getting a bit chillier. Last year it was my fingers that froze, but this could be a result of a cold core as well. While I am considering getting mitts for the winter, I might also upgrade my wetsuit.

Frank Whites has a sale on drysuits, which makes me consider that lofty upgrade, but, alas, I think I might just upgrade my wetsuit. I don't know where I'll be in a year (geographically), plus I'm _still_ a student.

Anyways, my not-so-favourite dive shop sells farmer john wetsuits, which is what I have currently. (My second hand suit is extremely old and worn.) I'm considering just getting one of the pieces to see if it helps much. Now, which piece should I upgrade first? The pants, or the jacket?

On a side note, my not-so-favourite dive shop has a killer deal though. Buy each of the pieces for $149.95, or (hold your breath, this is amazing), both pieces for $300.00. Oh... my... god... that is a good deal.

- ChillyWaters
During the years I was diving wet, I found the "upgrade" that made the biggest difference was a vest with an attatched hood that I wore under my farmer john jacket. I don't remember seeing any in dive shops though. I bought mine at a thrift shop for about $7 (no I don't still have it or it would be yours). It was about 3-5mm thick (the hood too) so I wore a normal hood over the thin one. The normal hood had to be a bit bigger than usual to fit over the other one. This stopped the water from running down the back of my neck. The bibs on most wetsuit hoods don't help much. I also learned pretty quick that 5-finger gloves are garbage. I got a pair of 10mm-thick 3-fingers at another thrift shop. For some reason they made them much thicker years ago. The thickest new ones I can find at a dive shop are 6-7mm which are fine for a hot tub. New hoods are pretty thin too. I switched from a new "cold water" hood to an old 10mm one and the difference was very obvious under water. All I need is a double hose regulator and I'll sound like a bitter old man.

By the way, speaking of Whites, I tried to buy the old Ikelite underwater strobe housing that they have displayed in their "antique" display (still looked perfectly useable), but they just laughed like I was joking and nervously backed away towards the phone. There was also a cardboard box full of old Viking drysuit underwear for $30 each. -Not too bad, even if it's not a thrift shop.

swankenstein:
During the years I was diving wet, I found the "upgrade" that made the biggest difference was a vest with an attatched hood that I wore under my farmer john jacket. I don't remember seeing any in dive shops though. I bought mine at a thrift shop for about $7 (no I don't still have it or it would be yours). It was about 3-5mm thick (the hood too) so I wore a normal hood over the thin one. The normal hood had to be a bit bigger than usual to fit over the other one. This stopped the water from running down the back of my neck. The bibs on most wetsuit hoods don't help much. I also learned pretty quick that 5-finger gloves are garbage. I got a pair of 10mm-thick 3-fingers at another thrift shop. For some reason they made them much thicker years ago. The thickest new ones I can find at a dive shop are 6-7mm which are fine for a hot tub. New hoods are pretty thin too. I switched from a new "cold water" hood to an old 10mm one and the difference was very obvious under water. All I need is a double hose regulator and I'll sound like a bitter old man.

Hmmmm... the additional hooded vest is an interesting idea. Especially considering soo much heat is lost through the head.

My dive buddy began using an additional 3mil shorty, and is _much_ warmer as a result, so a little protection can go a long way.

I'm definitely gonna get mitts for the winter. While they may not be 10mil anymore, I believe they are 7mil, which is still better than the thickest gloves (5mil). Then I'll consider a hooded vest if I can find one... or I'll upgrade a new piece of my wetsuit. My wetsuit is probably so old and crushed that it doesn't do too much anymore.

- ChillyWaters

Henderson's makes a good vest for under your wetsuit. The Henderson Gold 7mm farmer john is one of the best and warmest wetsuits you'll ever own. There are quite a few divers here in NB that dive wet all year round in the hendersons; with water temps here from 32F-54F.....

Bare has a one piece suit that you can then add a vest/ hood combo on top. (both 7mm) I convinced a couple buddies to get that instead of a normal farmer john and they loved it. most of the water comes down the gap in your neck so they stayed mostly dry on most of thier dives. They are a bit over 500$. However dry is the way to go, too bad you cant do that now.

As already mentioned, a hooded vest is probably the best upgrade you can make for the $$ spent.
If you're looking at a new wetsuit, there are some of those "semi-dry/wet" suits that are 1 piece with attached hood. Slip a non-hooded vest under that & you'll be smiling.
ScubaMax makes some dandies, very reasonably priced too. Should be retailing in the $225 - $275 price range.
http://images.escubamax.com/www.escubamax.com/HGX7MF-B.gif
Don't forget the 3-finger mitties, either.

I think you find a lot less mitts around in the thick 10mm is beacuse they are so unpractical, and unnecessary. The only people who would be shopping for those around here would be people who dove wet. Not many of them around. I use 5mm gloves (all fingers seperate) and they are PLENTY warm, even when the water is 49of. I dive dry ofcourse. I freedive in the same gloves, in a 3:6 mm O'neill J-Type suit. They keep me warm for hours. Not the same as diving though.

ChillyWaters, Now that I think about it props to you to diving wet. They only people I have seen diving wet are OW students. On a dry suit note, I think Ocean Quest has Whites Prodry III suits on for $699. If your spending $500 on a wetuit, not much more for dry.

JustinF:
ChillyWaters, Now that I think about it props to you to diving wet. They only people I have seen diving wet are OW students. On a dry suit note, I think Ocean Quest has Whites Prodry III suits on for $699. If your spending $500 on a wetuit, not much more for dry.

Actually, I spent $150 for my 2nd hand wetsuit, with newish accessories (hood, gloves, boots). It's worked well for the last year, but our dives in winter were kept to 30minutes. Throughout the summer I haven't been cold in the slightest though, staying under for up to 60minutes.

As mentioned, upgrading each part of my 2-piece wetsuit is only a $150 proposition each. So, that is MUCH cheaper than a drysuit upgrade.

While I may be able to get a drysuit for under $800, I still have to buy underwear, any accessories, as well as learn to dive dry. All of a sudden, it is much more expensive than my potential $150 upgrade.

I love diving wet, it's just the cold factor in the winter. So, if I can solve that, there's no reason to rush and switch to a dry suit. If I knew I'd be living around here post-graduation, then perhaps I'd consider shelling out the bucks, but until then, I'll hold off.

- ChillyWaters

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom