wetsuit wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slingshot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone tried doubling up on wetsuits for colder water diving? I've got a 5mm jumpsuit, and have been considering buying a 3mm (eg Henderson Hyperstretch) to put over it rather than buying a 7. Possible advantages: cheaper to buy, increased versatility? Possible disadvantages: less mobility, scorn of my diving buddies? My searches of these forums haven't yielded any posts to this effect. Ideas anyone?

Yecch. I get all oogey thinking about it, but you can if you want, nobody's gonna laugh at you. Much. :)

When you wear a 7 mil, you have 7 mm on your arms and shoulders and legs, and 14 mm on your torso. If you doubled up as I understand it, you'd have 8 mil on arms and legs and 17 on your torso. Might not be too bad, really, and layering might actually add an extra point of insulation. Any more than that, though, and you won't be able to bend your arms and legs. Try it out. It makes me tired just thinking about wrestling with that much neoprene.
I have visions of Ralphie's little brother in that Christmas movie, when his mother dresses him so warmly that he can't get up when the town bully knocks him down. :D

back when i was diving cold water i had a polartec that i wore under my wetsuit and when it was real cold i wore a polartec hooded vest alone with my full polartec and wetsuit. thats a cheap way to get warmer and it dont require you to have to put on anymore weight being your not adding more neoprene.

steve

I've got to say...I dive a 5mm farmer-john wetsuit down to somewhere arount 12-14C. Anything colder than that, and the surface temperatures (and winds...) alone make me drag out the drysuit....

Yeah, it's more expensive than a thin wet, but it is warmer too, and may be more versatile (i.e. let you dive even colder waters). There is a point where "wet" just isn't fun any more.

But to answer your question: yeah, you can layer your suits, and yeah it does work isolation-wise. But if you layer too much neoprene, you won't be able to move your limbs much....

SueMermaid once bubbled...
Yecch. I get all oogey thinking about it, but you can if you want, nobody's gonna laugh at you. Much. :)

When you wear a 7 mil, you have 7 mm on your arms and shoulders and legs, and 14 mm on your torso. If you doubled up as I understand it, you'd have 8 mil on arms and legs and 17 on your torso. Might not be too bad, really, and layering might actually add an extra point of insulation. Any more than that, though, and you won't be able to bend your arms and legs. Try it out. It makes me tired just thinking about wrestling with that much neoprene.
I have visions of Ralphie's little brother in that Christmas movie, when his mother dresses him so warmly that he can't get up when the town bully knocks him down. :D

I don't follow your math. If you combine a 5mm and 3mm you get.......well 8.

Since when do 7mm suits have 14mm on the torso? What brand of wetsuit is this? Don't know this mfg?!?! LOL

If your wearing 2 jumpsuits as poster indicated, why are you upcharging the torso, actually doubling it.

This your first and only post? Well, welcome to Scuba Board! :hi: Hope you enjoy it here. I do, I've learned much, and I've only incurred a few insults. :thumb:

( By the way, you're also welcome to introduce yourself in the Intro Forum, where we can welcome you more completely?! )

But to your question: That's about the way I approached it. Now, my personal chill factor varies somewhat at my age, but I knew these basics from my years of tending cattle on open pasture in winter storms and such:
(1) Layering works well; 2 + 2 is approximately 4, even though not identical;
(2) As much heat can be lost out of the head as from the body trunk, making good head gear as important as a jacket - which is why you very seldom see any outdoorsman bareheaded; and
(3) If I just get chilled, I feel it in my shoulders first*, which is why a vest is so popular with outdoorsmen.

Most of my diving is done in waters from 72 to 82 F, with rare exposures to 52 to 72 F, so I keep a variety of combinations on hand:
(a) Warmer waters and warmer SI air temps, I'll wear a long "rash guard" skin and beanie;
(b) If either is cooler, I'll substitute a 1 mil equivalent skin with velour lining - especially with multiple dives over multiple days.
(c) Any colder, and I'll add light weight gloves and a 3 mil long over the 1 mil, giving me 4 mil over all, plus substitute a neoprene beanie for better head protection.
(d) When I go to California, I'll substitute neoprene gloves and add a 3 mil short on top of the 4 mil long combo above, giving me 4 mil on the extremeties but 7 mil on the trunck - even though I may dive with a native Californian wearing 3 or 4 mil, as he's just used to it.

* I considered the Farmer John (which this country boy would describe to a non-diver as suspender coveralls with a long coat), but saw that I'd have half as much protection on my shoulders as my trunck and butt and rejected that totally. I understand that this apporach is popular with many, but based on my logic - I just don't get it, and I've never seen any studies. I don't know the origin of the FJ, so while it's commonly accepted, I question its utility.

Quoting you here: "5mm jumpsuit, and have been considering buying a 3mm (eg Henderson Hyperstretch) to put over it rather than buying a 7."

If you have a 5 mil long, and added a 3 mil short, you'd have about 8 mil on the trunck with 5 mil in the extremities, and bein gused to cold water anyway - be ready for pretty much anything a 7 mil might do. I'd not add a 3 mil long to accomplish more on the legs and arms, as you might loose some mobility.

What about "...scorn of my diving buddies?" Two choices:
I. Pity them for not recognizing the creativity; or
II. Blame it "some crazy Texan who convinced you it'd work."

SueMermaid once bubbled...

Yecch. I get all oogey thinking about it, but you can if you want, nobody's gonna laugh at you. Much.

I have visions of Ralphie's little brother in that Christmas movie, when his mother dresses him so warmly that he can't get up when the town bully knocks him down.

5615mike once bubbled...

I don't follow your math. If you combine a 5mm and 3mm you get.......well 8.

Since when do 7mm suits have 14mm on the torso? What brand of wetsuit is this? Don't know this mfg?!?! LOL

If your wearing 2 jumpsuits as poster indicated, why are you upcharging the torso, actually doubling it.

I think SueM was thinking double FJs, which would really be to much, while you and I were thinking about double Jumpsuits.

Hope I've helped some here, and not talked you to death...

don

Sorry, I was mixing my suits incorrectly. Halfway though posting, I got distracted by something shiny and forgot it was a 5 mm jumpsuit I was talking about, and not a 7 two-piece. I am blonde. :dunce:
That being said, my 7 mm gives me 14 mm at the torso cause it is a FJ/shorty. That is what I meant.
Nevermind, carry on.

This one time when i was doing a 200 feet dive, i had on a .5mil skin, 3 mil shorty, hooded vest, and a 7mil over all that....and i was still cold at depth... lol

personally, if you layered your neoprene, i wouldn't laugh at you...i would think it's normal to do so if you're proned to cold.

I use a 5mm suit in the summer but add another 5mm shorty with hood for the spring and fall. It makes a huge difference. Yeah, it's not real comfortable and I hate diving with all that weight (10kg) but at least I'm warmer. I can't afford a drysuit now so that's all I've got. It seems to do the trick in water as cold as 8 degrees (46f).

Nobody except you!

slingshot once bubbled...
Has anyone tried doubling up on wetsuits for colder water diving? I've got a 5mm jumpsuit, and have been considering buying a 3mm (eg Henderson Hyperstretch) to put over it rather than buying a 7. Possible advantages: cheaper to buy, increased versatility? Possible disadvantages: less mobility, scorn of my diving buddies? My searches of these forums haven't yielded any posts to this effect. Ideas anyone?

Back
Top Bottom