Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NBAstarRS

Registered
Reaction score
im looking to buy a wetsuit and trying to figure out what MM i should get I live in MA (New England/Atlantic ocean) i mostly plan on divin in the summer maybe fall water is prob mostly high 60's to low 70s durign the summer so long as we have a warm summer. Any input would be greatly appreciated

Hi ...
wavey.gif
& Welcome to ...

:sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:
banana.gif

You can get by with a 3mm. A 3mm is fine for myself in high to mid 60's. But if you dive a little longer or earlier and do multiple dives and maybe a few days in a row you'll be better off in a 5mm. But if you want to have a longer season in which you might need a 7mm one piece. If it was me and I knew I'd end up diving more I have a 3mm and a 7mm also.

Nah, a 3mm is no good for Mass, not even in the middle of the hottest summer we've ever had. The water temps may be that high at the immediate surface, but not at any depth. Its cold at 20 feet, any deeper, its well below 60 degrees. You need 7 mm for summer and a dry suit if you want to extend your season. Have you taken a class? They'll give you a 7mm suit.

You say you plan on diving just summer and fall....if you're like many other cold water divers, you'll see how much you love it and decide you don't care to have a diving "season" and would prefer to do it year round....I would go for the 7mm and give yourself that possibility. Besides, there's really no such thing as being too hot (imo) in a wetsuit. If you ever notice yourself feeling warm, just let some water in and it will instantly cool you down.

And like Annemf said, temperature at depth is very different from the temperature at the surface. Pesky thermoclines :rofl3:

I advise all of my students to try both a 7mm and a drysuit before buying any suit for diving around here. Most prefer dry. 7mm is the absolute minimum you should even consider. Contact me if you you would like to get out for a few dives to check your comfort level in various suits.

thanks for all of your input its nice to see people actually from MA to, im new to this whole thing

7mm with 2X on the core should let you enjoy June through October and maybe a month each way past that if you're hardy. August to mid September you can probably get away with a little less for shore dives. If you go with a full suit base you can play with vest/hood configuration to be comfortable but limit your neoprene. More Here.

Pete

As a 30 year past resident of New England I'd recommend a 7mm, farmer john, attached hood, no zipper, custom suit made from Rubatex GN-231N. That'll get you through down to 45 degrees or so, some of us dive that suit even colder.

i found a guy whos selling a SeaQuest 1 peice 7mm wetsuit for $100 i was wondering if you guys think its a good deal, said its only been used a couple times

i found a guy whos selling a SeaQuest 1 peice 7mm wetsuit for $100 i was wondering if you guys think its a good deal, said its only been used a couple times

If it fits you well then it would be a great base layer. At this time of the year it and a hood may be all you need for shore dives. As you go deeper and later in the season add a hooded step-in vest.

I'm not saying you should but mail order but as a $$ reference a Bare Arctic will cost $224 from Leisure Pro.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom