Wetsuits 1pc or 2pc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smorneau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to buy my first wetsuit. I can't decide if I should get a one piece or two. I live in Maine so the water never get to warm and I want to dive three seasons. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

The 2 piece will give you more warmth on your upper body. Not sure what your water temps are, here they can get down to the low 50's and a one piece 7mm wetsuit does not really cut it for multiple dives.

After almost 3 years of diving wet I am starting to look at going dry.

Not sure what temperatures you dive in, but Maine sounds cold to me, I would be looking at a dry suit, however if you don't fancy that then go for a semi-dry. A 5mm semi dry will be as warm as a 7mm wetsuit and you will not need as much lead.

Assuming all your choices of suits fits right and doesn't allow for water flow during your dive:
a 2 piece is mighty warm compared to a 1 piece.

Generally speaking wetsuits:
- A one piece would allow less water to enter the suit. (if sealed right)
- A 2 piece farmer john would allow water to enter more readily because the neck seal and zipper conflict with each other, however this is mostly felt in your arms if you have a tight fitting lower half.
- A one piece or 2 piece suit with an attached hood by far gives the best seal. With 2 piece farmer john and jacket (beaver tail) w/ attached hood giving the best seal and best warmth.

A close second is a 1 piece suit with a hooded vest. It's a nice compromise between a farmer john 2 piece and one piece (both with separate hoods). You'll get a little more warmth (than a 1 piece) and little less water chill initially (than a 2 piece, no attached hood).

The inital influx of water (which is present in every wetsuit) will send chill down your spine, but your body will quickly warm it, assuming you don't have water constantly flowing in and out of the suit.

If Maine diving is anything like Michigan, go for the 2pc. You will get double coverage on your core, and it will keep you warmer through multiple dives. Like others have said, the style of the jacket may allow more water in through the neck, but if you are in that environment, you will likely be wearing a hood with a bib or hooded vest anyway.

I dived in Maine for a good long time and used a 2 piece. If you use a one piece, you will be purchasing a hooded vest to give you the extra layer on your core. Bottom line is Spring is pretty cold, don't count on much diving before Memorial day. The air temp is OK, but the water temp can still be <50F. You can stretch your season in to late October though as the water takes a bit long to get cold in the fall compared to the air.

Out here on the west coast where I dive the water temp is about 50 degrees all year. I have a 2 piece 7mm Farmer John with a step in jacket and use a cold water hood. The step in jacket gives double coverage down the leg a bit (you don't have to tuck the beaver tail up the back of your jacket 'cause it's too "constricting" otherwise) and a cold water hood has extended material to tuck into the jacket so there is no water flowing in by your neck. I can do 3 shore dives if I have the time and energy. I do use 5mm gloves so I can use my fingers.

When I go south to and have 58 degrees or more degree water I usually leave the jacket unzipped to the weight belt until I cool down a bit.

The downside is when you put it all on plan on getting in the water soon so you don't overheat if it's warm out.

Bob
---------------------------
I may be old, but I&#8217;m not dead yet.

A two piece provides more versatility, a one piece provides more comfort. In cold water like you'll be diving I actually use a full suit, with a hooded vest under it and a step in jacket over it. If I keep diving cold I'll eventually go to a dry suit, but I can't justify that expense to my wife just yet.

If you're capable of laying out a lot of money, look at dry or semi-dry suits also. You'll be far more comfortable and buoyancy control will be "easier" in a dry suit.

I use a 7mm full suit + 7mm hooded vest and find it WAY more convenient than a farmer john + jacket. A farmer john by itself is useless, and to some extent so is the jacket it comes with. A 7mm full suit can be used with or without the hooded (or an unhooded) vest, giving more options, and a lot less water flow too. I don't even understand why anyone still makes farmer john style anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom