wetsuits 60's early 70's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nermod thanks for sharing those, that is one of the pics I had seen before but smaller .. the 63 Voit catalog cover that is ..

That's what we need.... More combination Liquor and Sporting Goods Stores. I love the idea.

Steve

That's where you can get tanked and tanked. LOL:D

I was diving in the 60s and early 70s and don't remember any color other than the one Henry Ford said you could get your Model T in (no, I'm not THAT old). Of course I was diving off on a "remote" island and didn't dive the California mainland where these may have been popular!

I think the impetus behind the colored and patterned suits was to get more women into diving.

I still have my custom-made 3/4" (they didn't measure in "Mil" yet of course): It's a bright, Medium blue & Orange! GREAT suit -- you can even move around a bit with it on!

I remember seeing pivtures of wetsuits and rash gaurd looking shirts on divers inthe 60's through early 70's that were multi colored and tye dye looking is any able to give any inpit on these ?????

Thanks.....

Robert

I remember the lycra skin suits as being very popular in the late 70's or early 80's....whenever we could avoid the wetsuit ( water was warm enough not to need it), the lycra suits gave us protection from sun and hydroids, etc., and did not mess up your bouyancy----back then, many of us DID NOT use BC's, so lycra was pretty awesome....you set your weight for about 2 pounds heavy, and at the end of the dive you are neutral....essentially making the BC a crutch to be needed only be weak divers :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom