Wetwear, custom wetsuit for cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pelonofear

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,
I am finding myself diving more and more in cold waters even if I am certainly not a fan of cold. I use a 6.5mm farmer john and jacket (giving a 13mm thickness in my torso) and am still cold below 60F. When I say cold I mean I start shivering in minutes.
I remember seeing Wetwear at a show with their material that supposedly do not squeeze with increasing pressure. I am now thinking if it is worth a shot. Has anyone tried it in cold waters? Don't all those zippers let water in defeating the purpose of having a wetsuit that should keep you warmer? If anyone is wondering: yes I know a dry suit would be best, but I am not currently ready for the investment and am trying to find alternatives.
Thanks!

A wetsuit works by letting water in and creating a layer of water between the suit material and your body that is warmed by your body heat. So, your skin is actually wet when wearing a wetsuit. I understand your position on a drysuit, but you may only be delaying the inevitable by putting off your purchase of one. Especially given how easily you get chilled.

I had a Wetwear suit and although it was without a doubt the best wetsuit I have ever had, I would still get cold if the temp was too low. I began to wear a 3/2 shorty under it to add another layer and that helped. i finally gave in a got a drysuit.

I dive a Wetwear with a thicker core and thinner sleeves (thinking it is 7/5) for summer shallow diving in the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence. If measured correctly, the zips will not impact the insulating ability of the suit. I also added dry cuffs on the wrists and ankles. Very pleased. I will wear this for diving in temps 50-ish and above. Again, emphasizing, IT IS ALL ABOUT THE FIT.

Back
Top Bottom