Whale dung??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

regul8r

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay.. its kind of gross looking.. but what is it?
Nassau016.jpg

What was the diameter? It looks like the byproduct of an invertabrate, like a worm. As when it comsumes sand along with detritus, then excretes it back out.

-----

Mike.

If I had to estimate the size.. if I recall correctly. I would say about 14" long and perhaps 8" in Dia. smaller.. at both ends.. bigger in the middle. I wish now that I would have gotten a picture of the whole thing. but was in the process of chasing another picture and just caught a quick shot of this.

Whoa! 8" inches in diameter, that's huge for an invertabate! I'm still leaning that way for the following reasons:

!) Mammals are usually swimming when they defacate, and it never comes out that "neatly"; they never sit on the bottom and string it out that i've seen.

2) Vertibate stool (not that i'm an expert here :D), isn't normally that uniform for that length, due to the consumption rate of food materials (nature and availability of their food sources); food comes intermittantly, and of a different variety, so stool is varied in size, texture and color, and not nearly that long.

3) Invertibrates, like sea cukes and worms, take in a much larger portion, over a longer period, due to less nutrients in the sand. Thus their "excrement" will be longer and more uniform since they "excrete" as they eat. The longer they eat, the longer it'll be.

4) The "debris" looks too uniform, and looks to contain sand and other differently colored minerals.

Without being there, and seeing anything else around that might suggest what couldve caused it. It would be interesting to see if any parts contain bones or krill shells ... that would tell us if it was from a whale. But it still seems unlikely that it would just fall neatly into a coiled position like that, and not disperse more across the bottom in the surrounding area.

-----

Mike.

yea.. i'm estimating.. of course everything looks bigger underwater... which explains the love of diving LOL

of course everything looks bigger underwater... which explains the love of diving LOL
In that case, maybe we shoud vote for underwater banks. Goodness knows my bank account could use a little "magnification" :rofl3:

-----

Mike.

We already went over this on another forum, fella. :) It's Sea Cucumber excrement, and it looks like you have the business end of the Sea Cucumber right there in the picture.

Back
Top Bottom