Whale shark dive ops and rules in 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We did the whale shark tour a couple of years ago and it was really 'meh'. We were in and out of the water very quickly, and I couldn't get my head far enough under water to see much or get any good pictures. I'm wondering if any of you know if the rules are still the same - gotta wear a life vest - or if they have relaxed those rules?

Those of you who have gone, do you have recommendations for a good op? The one we went with last time was terrible. The boat was really rickety (it was leaking oil - I watched as it came out in a small but steady stream) and it was overcrowded. We're hoping we'd have a better experience this time around - with fewer folks in the water and COVID keeping the boats less crowded.

We are going the week of 9/19-26 (end of whale shark season, as I understand it). Thanks!

When I did it about 5 years ago we had to either wear a vest or a wetsuit. Much better with a wetsuit. But you did have to take turns in the water with a guide.

A few years back, we rented two nice sized boats from Keen M Whale Shark Diving Cancun - Manta Rays Snorkeling Cancun They are from Isla Mujeres buy picked us up at Punta Sam by Cancun. My van guy grabbed us in Playa and took us up. It was SO nice to have a decent sized boat. I felt bad for the sardines on the pangas. They were happy to let us wear a shorty wetsuit instead of a snorkel vest too.

With our own boats, we stayed in the water as long as we wanted and we left when we wanted to leave. We stopped somewhere around Islay Contoy I think to have lunch and screw around snorkelling.

untitled (19 of 26).JPG
untitled (18 of 26).JPG
untitled (19 of 26).JPG

untitled (10 of 26).JPG

We did lose one member who was swallowed by a whale shark......

untitled (13 of 26).JPG

Just kidding on that....

The rules are the same as previous years. Life jackets are mandatory. The tours end Sept 15. We have tours daily. Blue h2o Cozumel customers from Cozumel have been staying at a hotel in Playa Del Carmen the night before their tour. The hotel is included in our tour cost. You do want to get out to the whale sharks earlier in the day as opposed to afternoons because sometimes they drop below the surface, especially later in the season.

We went last year and you had to wear a life vest. As you said we found it hard to get below the surface to get good pictures and view of the whale sharks. It was much better years ago when you only needed to wear a wetsuit. I wouldn't do it again.

The rules are the same as previous years. Life jackets are mandatory. The tours end Sept 15. We have tours daily. Blue h2o Cozumel customers from Cozumel have been staying at a hotel in Playa Del Carmen the night before their tour. The hotel is included in our tour cost. You do want to get out to the whale sharks earlier in the day as opposed to afternoons because sometimes they drop below the surface, especially later in the season.

So we'll be there too late anyway?

whale-sharks.com gave us a great tour at Isla Mujeres in August 2016. Really enjoyable, although the whale shark numbers were a little on the light side. We stopped for lunch on the boat, did some snorkeling.
In LaPaz in October 2018, there were lots of whale sharks in the water.
Both trips there was a limit of 3 guests plus a guide and heavily patrolled by the police. You can skip the snorkel vest if you wear a wet suit.
IMO, I don't go on seasonal viewing trips at the beginning or end of the season, because oftentimes you miss out on the peak viewing and encounters with the animals.

We did the whale shark tour a couple of years ago and it was really 'meh'. We were in and out of the water very quickly, and I couldn't get my head far enough under water to see much or get any good pictures. I'm wondering if any of you know if the rules are still the same - gotta wear a life vest - or if they have relaxed those rules?

Those of you who have gone, do you have recommendations for a good op? The one we went with last time was terrible. The boat was really rickety (it was leaking oil - I watched as it came out in a small but steady stream) and it was overcrowded. We're hoping we'd have a better experience this time around - with fewer folks in the water and COVID keeping the boats less crowded.

We are going the week of 9/19-26 (end of whale shark season, as I understand it). Thanks!
We went a few years age and we wore snorkel vests and deflated them.

We went a few years age and we wore snorkel vests and deflated them.
That's how we did it, but it's been many years. When I got tired after a few swims, I added a bit of air to mine. That little First Mate made every swim with every couple - salute! I guess we tipped better than the others the first day as the second day the skipper let us swim with the Manta. One day was not enough anyway, and we were going out of Holbox.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom