Whale shark - Isla Mujeres question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here’s the link: http://www.mexicodivers.com/

I went with Mexico Diver during 4th of July 2017 & took this video:

But if you come during the snapper spawning, you might get lucky to see these:

View attachment 503051 View attachment 503052

I am more surprised by the lack of boats than the number of sharks. I went last summer plenty of whale sharks, and a few mantas showed up. But dear god there were dozens of boats at the sites. It was fun, I probably wouldn't do it again, not because I didn't find the whale sharks or mantas interesting, but I would rather go some place where I can dive with them.

Anecdotal comment to Manatee Diver: My experience has been that, at its peak, the number of boats is not in the dozens, but in the hundreds. I recall that on the first day of my trip this past year, as we searched in the horizon for the site, I saw that we were heading towards what appeared to be an island or islet far in the horizon. This seemed odd to me, since I still retain a little bit of my geography classes, so I foolishly asked what land mass that was, and the captain said it was the cluster of boats that was already amassed there. That's when we resolved to get an earlier start on all subsequent days.

I know of two places in Asia where the whalesharks aggregate to feed (fed by fishermen) and to the best of my knowledge, scuba is still allowed. One is Cenderawasih in Indonesia and the other is Oslob in the south of Cebu in the Philippines. There won't be 100 or more whalesharks, but the ones that are there are not so spread out as in Isla Mujeres because they tend to mill around the feeding area.

Well, diving with whale sharks in south pacific sounds nice but for now I have to go with snorkeling in Mexico

I can't disagree. I've never done Cenderawasih or Oslob. For me, a trip to Isla Mujeres is a lot easier - and cheaper - than going to the Far East, if the ultimate goal is to see and shoot these animals.

I’ve been to Cendrawasih Bay (CB). It is the only place I know that you can dive with whaleshark 99% at the time. Besides, CB is right next to Raja Ampat, so the rest of the diving would be a world class site. I dove in area where there are plenty of WWII wrecks. I saw Japanese Mitsubishi Zero airplane wreck & USAF Mustang airplane wreck not too far from each other.

Check out this video:

Thank you again for all helpful advises. I just came back from a short trip to Isla Mujeres. I booked with Mexico Divers and I was happy with them. I knew that whale shark trip will be crowded and overregulated but we had plenty of sharks to see and this counts the most. On a second day went for a dive. We went to rarely visited remote Ultra Freeze wreck and Sleeping Shark Cave for a second. I did not expect a lot from Isla Mujeres diving but it was fun. Cool intact natural wreck and on a second dive Misael spotted batfish and we collected longest fishing line I ever saw with dozens hooks. Both Misael and Claire provided great guidance. Overall I enjoyed both whale shark and dives and can recommend Mexico divers without hesitation.

Attachments

• IMG_9145.JPG
    IMG_9145.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_9143.JPG
    IMG_9143.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_9151.JPG
    IMG_9151.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 130
  • batfish.JPG
    batfish.JPG