Whale Shark season is in high gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did a Holbox trip a couple of years ago. Just wondering how many turns people are getting in the water with the IM operators.

It's all regulated Ann - but we got PLENTY - also depends on other people on your boat and how tired or sick they get.

Isla Mujeres is a MUCH better way to go now - Holbox is no longer the Whale Shark central - they chave to travel from Holbox to the same place the IM operators go - but the boat ride from Holbox is MUCH further. The point is that regardless of who you go with, only 2 ppl at a time are allowed in the water at one time with the guide. They'll stay out as long as people want to keep getting in and the sharks are there - like I said in a previous post, they start diving down deep between noon and 1:00pm anyway.

Am also using Scorpion Divers in 2.5 weeks to see these majestic creatures!

Jorge is the very definition of how to run a Dive Shop!

...am counting down the days!

Can't wait to experience this!! Cozumel in a week and whale sharks a few days later! Thanks for sharing the pics/vids :)

Back in '10 my wife and I swam with the sharks off of Holbox after flying there from CZM in a Cessna 206. It looks like they now fly directly to IM, saving the boat time to the sharks that Christi mentioned. Here's my thread from back then:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/301049-cozumel-holbox-whale-sharks-day-report.html

I found my tour provider, Duende Tours and their current offering from CZM to IM:
Whale Shark Tour by Air

We LOVED the short flight and all the time and hassle saved in getting to the sharks. If time = money for you on vacation, this might be a good option.

It's significantly more money - and it's not as long of a trip t Isla Mujeres as it is to Holbox. The way we did it with Scorpio is just the ferry from CZM to Playa (40 minutes), they meet you as soon as you get off the ferry and then a 50 minute nice air conditioned van ride to meet the boat. It was easy and not a hassle at all really. On the way back, same van ride back dropped us off right at the ferry pier.

The flight in this case goes to Cancun airport - then it's still a 30 minute drive to the boats - so the time savings aren't that great when you consider that you have to be there for the flight 30 - 45 minutes in advance. It's not worth the extra $129usd per person IMO for the trip out of IM

My current plan is I'm flying into Cancun on the 25th and from there I was planning on going to IM for two nights so that I could swim with the whale sharks on the 26th and 27th. After that I'm planning on heading to CZM until the 4th of August to blow lots and lots of bubbles.

I'm starting to rethink...

Maybe i should head straight to CZM and do two days of whale shark swims on not consecutive days with Scorpio out of PDC.

Thoughts on that?

My current plan is I'm flying into Cancun on the 25th and from there I was planning on going to IM for two nights so that I could swim with the whale sharks on the 26th and 27th. After that I'm planning on heading to CZM until the 4th of August to blow lots and lots of bubbles.

I'm starting to rethink...

Maybe i should head straight to CZM and do two days of whale shark swims on not consecutive days with Scorpio out of PDC.

Thoughts on that?

No - your original plan is better. The whale shark trips depart out of Cancun/Isla Mujeres! Scorpio Divers and others simply provide transportation from PDC - the trips don't actually go out of PDC. Contact Jorge at Scorpio Divers and he can tell you how/where you need to go to meet the boat if already in Cancun/Isla.

Did this last year and was planning to back again this year but, alas, we're just going to hang out in Coz in August and relax... I DEFINITELY WILL BE BACK though, one of the most fun excursions I've ever been on!

So guys, do you get to see loads of mantas doing this ? I will be there late july and the purpose of my visit is to swim with mantas. I have swam with something like 50 whalesharks over ten days in the philippines before so am looking for a manta trip. It's purely snorkeling right ?

Back
Top Bottom