Whale Sharks in CR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Driznik

Contributor
Reaction score
What is the best time of year to find Whale Sharks in Costa Rica?

Are there any shore sites that are more reliable than others? I understand we're dealing with nature here, so there are no guarantees.

Are they often seen at 'local' shore sites around Golfo de Papagayo, or the Catalinas or do you have to go out to Cocos to find them?

I did some googling, and came up with conflicting information.

Thanks,

D

It is very, very, highly unlikely that you'll ever see whale sharks at 'local' shore sites around Golfo de Papagayo, or the Catalinas...I spent 6 months total down there many moons ago doing my Divemaster interning and whatnot and didn't once see, or ever hear of anyone seeing, a whale shark in those parts...however, one could get lucky...you never know (in the end)...

We dove in the northern coast at Playa Hermosa Guanacasta I believe. They told us to be ready in the event they spotted one. Never saw one but hope to. By the way the diving there was just OK. I love Costa Rica but I think Ill head to the Co Cos next time. I was there in Late Jan. for what its worth.

There are occasional whale shark sightings around some the local Gulf of Papagayo sights. However, they're relatively infrequent. Your best bet is probably to go to the Coco Islands. The bathymetry of islands and surrounding sea mounts help to redirect deep ocean currents up toward the surface. These upwellings are rich in nutrients and organisms that draw a host of plankton eaters (like mantas and whale sharks). In general, the best time of year for sighting pelagics in Costa Rica is typically June-October.

I would suggest Cocos Island, but this is not for the novice diver. If its Whale Sharks you want, I would suggest Ningaloo Reef on the West Coast of the Australia, Donsol in the province of Bicol, Phillippines and Galapagos (not necessarily in that order). Every year during the months of March-June, whale sharks migrate to an area off Placencia in Belize through a place called the Gladden Cut. Holbox Island, Mexico is also a good bet. Happy whale sharking!

Thanks,

That doesn't surprise me. I'd read that Mantas were big around the Catalinas December - April, and I thought the conditions that attracted Whale Sharks might be similar to those that attracted Whale Sharks.

I'm already booked into CR from Dec 26 - Jan 9, so just trying to find out what kind of life I can expect.

Drew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom