Whale Sharks in February?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobby T

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are contemplating heading to Utila this coming winter. We prefer to get out of bitter cold Wisconsin in Dec/Jan/Feb but it looks as though the Whale Sharks are much more prevelant in March/April/May.

Can anyone guestimate our odds of seeing Whale Sharks if we are in Utila during Feburary? Really that is our main reason for the trip there.

Regarding lodging, it seems that there are a lot of oceanfront houses for rent (dirt cheap). Are there dive ops that will pick you up?

Thanks - Bobby T.

Can anyone guestimate our odds of seeing Whale Sharks if we are in Utila during Feburary? Really that is our main reason for the trip there.

1 in 4.87 :eyebrow:

I appreciate your "goal", but Whalesharks are much like Love... if you're looking- you won't find it.

True enough, the big boys have been seen during every month of the year, but I have had the most result in those late spring months, notably at specific lunar phases. But that's just anecdotal.

WSORC and Whale Shark - Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras for some interesting reading.

There is one operator with a "Whale Shark Guarantee". Pay $1000 cash money additional up front and he will guarantee you will see one. Money back guarantee.

Go, have fun. If you meet the Whalesharks, so much the better.

Your profile says that you have less than 25 dives. Have you seen a Pipefish, Nudibranch, Neck Crab, Juvenile Drum, Snapping Shrimp, Mantis Shrimp or Sea Horse? Relax~ do some diving... it will all come in due time.

As to Tiburon Ballena? If not this time? Keep diving... that's the real way to improve your odds!

I understand from talking to Dr. Rob Davis who is head of WSORC that the only thing "certain" about seeing whale sharks is that it is "uncertain"

'Ya pays your money and takes your chances no matter what time of the year it is.

Last season's sightings, or randomness, had everyone heading back to the databases to re-examine the assumptions, factors and parameters involved in predicting whale shark migration.
:cool2:

Hmmm

I don't think that that is actually true since Brent Stewart and Scott Eckert tagged 2 whale sharks in 1994 it has been questioned if there is any migration at all as when these 2 were tagged, they were both young males and they went in totally different directions, nowadays we are looking more as if it is feeding aggregations, not migration. ( but so little is known about them this may be disproved )

Last years sightings were not that unusual, we have full records for the last few years and the whale sharks followed more or less the same pattern, and again this year so far it is the same, the only main difference is that we are getting more and more help from people and seeing more complete records.

Another instance is that a Whale Shark tagged in Mexico in the Gulf by the Domino project in 2007 was found in the Ascension Islands 7,213 Kilometers away, this journey was completed in 150 days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom