Whale sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orenbvip

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be in Thailand backpacking jan and parts of feb and it has always been a dream of mine to see/dive with a whale shark, are there any areas or even tours i can go to? any info is greatly appreciated.

You could make a trip to Richelieu Rock, which is the place best known for whaleshark sightings. You are still a bit early though.

However, in my experience the last few years we have had more sightings at Hin Daeng and Hin Muang, so I would recommend to go there. Daytrip from Koh Lanta or Phi Phi, or liveaboard from Phuket.

Good luck! I am still waiting to see one.

Yep, lots of luck. It took me 10 years and then they came 2 at a time to make up for it on a trip from my boat out of Ao Nang. Got a picture on the facebook link below. You can still get a speed boat trip out to Hin Daeng/Mouang out of Ao Nang by the way, so it's another option.

Good luck!!:D

Last edited:
I will be in Thailand backpacking jan and parts of feb and it has always been a dream of mine to see/dive with a whale shark, are there any areas or even tours i can go to? any info is greatly appreciated.

There are no dedicated whaleshark diving tours in Thailand because it's impossible to predict when and where they show up. Your best chance to see one is to dive a helluva lot when you're here and preferably dive those places where the whalesharks tend to show up most frequently.
Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, Richelieu Rock, Koh Tachai and Koh Bon are all pretty good places to try your luck.
And if you're really-really-really lucky you may even see one in the Gulf of Thailand...

:D

I heard one of the best spots in the world to swim with whale sharks is Donsol in the Philippines.
I have a trip planned there for late Feb 2009.

Actually we havent had a single whale shark on richlieu rock...the best place for whale sharks in Thailand is around the Gulf...ie Koh Samui, Koh Tao etc....

This season we had a few weeks where we saw whale sharks everyday at Sail Rock...near Koh Tao. On our 3 tank day, we had a whale shark at Southwest Pinncale, Shark Island and Sail Rock....so it was a very lucky day.

Now at the Similans, we have had no mantas or whale sharks so far this season. :shakehead: Then again we saw a manta on a fishing boat last year. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom