Whaleshark diving in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danishDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi there

What is the best place in Thailand in february/march to dive with Whaleshark?

My girlfrisl and I are planning a dive holiday to Thailand, and we would really like to dive with them (fingers crossed).

Most likely the Andaman Sea, between Koh Lanta and Phi Phi were sightings earlier this year.

On the other hand, Sail Rock in the Gulf of Thailand is known to have regular sightings as well, although not as many during the period that you mentioned. No guarantee on anything though.

March, April, May and Sept and October are when we see the most whalesharks here on Koh Tao - however there was one sighted around 10 days ago - so you never know ....

Sail Rock, Chumphon Pinnacle, South West Pinnacle and Shark Island are their most popular haunts but then they have been seen at Green Rock and White Rock too....

I'm guessing they don't have calendars or maps .....:D

In the Andaman, they have typically been sighted around Richelieu Rock in February and March when the plankton becomes richer (they come to feed), but last season there were very few sightings for whatever reason, so it's a roll of the craps dice, with the odds against you, no matter where.

For more reliable sightings, Donsol in the Philippines gets regular whale shark visits at that time of year though of course I'm not trying to discourage you from coming to Thailand! Especially since in Donsol they only allow snorkeling, not scuba!

In the Andaman Sea the last few years most sightings have been in the Hin Daeng/Hin Muang area, not around Richelieu Rock anymore, the traditional place for whalesharks. As mentioned, there is also a chance in the Gulf of Thailand.

Don't count on them, simply go for a nice diving vacation and hope for the best.

Hi there

Thanks to all of you for the tips.

On another forum, a lot of people has told me about Donsol in the Philippines, should have near guaranty of seeing whaleshark, unfortunately only snorkeling allowed. But i will also look more into that.

Have fun diving ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom