Whaling could it start again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
SCIENCE & NATURE

Push to harpoon ban on whaling
Matthew Denholm
January 21, 2005
COMMERCIAL whaling – banned for almost 20 years – could be given the go-ahead to resume as early as June.

Conservation groups and government delegates to the International Whaling Commission told The Australian yesterday they feared Japan and other pro-whaling countries now had the numbers on the commission.

Nicola Beynon, a member of Australia's delegation to the IWC, said she felt the June meeting in South Korea would vote to resume commercial whaling. "We are gravely concerned – at the last meeting there were three or four votes in it, now it's a knife-edge," she said.

The Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society said it feared commercial whaling was on the verge of an unwelcome comeback.

"Unfortunately, the countries that have joined the IWC recently are more likely to vote for commercial whaling – support for ending the moratorium is growing by the day," said Philippa Brakes, a New Zealand-based scientist with the society.

Six new nations have joined the IWC since June last year – Kiribati, Mali, Surinam, Tuvalu, Belgium and Ivory Coast. Conservationists believe only Belgium would vote against lifting the moratorium on commercial whaling imposed by the IWC in 1986.

Japan has been accused of using the leverage of fisheries aid money to persuade South Pacific countries to join the IWC and back its pro-whaling stance. This approach has resulted in the number of IWC members growing from 37 in the 1980s to the 59 members to be represented at the meeting in Ulsan, South Korea, on June 20-24.

Adding to the concerns of anti-whaling countries, several fence-sitting nations – such as Sweden, Ireland and The Netherlands – are thought to be ready to vote in favour of lifting the moratorium under a compromise deal.

"It would require a vote of two-thirds of members to lift the moratorium, but the problem for those of us who want to keep the ban on commercial whaling is that a number of countries who sit in the middle want to compromise," said Ms Beynon.

"And those votes would be enough to get a two-thirds majority. In our view, those countries are naive."

The pro-whaling countries, led by Japan and Norway, are pushing a compromise deal under which commercial whaling would resume under a revised management scheme, which would impose conditions and a process for calculating quotas.

But conservationists say the conditions are hopelessly slack and the quota process is based on overly generous estimates of whale numbers.

Ms Beynon, a spokeswoman on whales for the Humane Society International, said pro-whaling countries wanted to expand so-called scientific whaling, under which 440 Minke whales are killed each year. "We expect them to seek to increase those numbers and to extend it to other species as a way of adding to the pressure for a compromise," she said. "They are upping the ante."

International whaling would set off a storm of public outcry from Europe and the U.S... which is what started the original regulations in the first place. So whaling may get started, but it'll get re-nipped in the bud pretty dang fast. The follow-up regulations would be much harsher than the ones we have currently. Not a smart strategy for the nations currently whaling. It would be a very short-duration fishery.

Open whaling would still only apply to international waters. Anybody caught whaling within our EEZ would likely have their vessel impounded and their catch seized.

Unless your native Alaskan, they still have a quota.

Contemporary whaling activity is so minute, it's barely on the map as a commercial industry. For mostly humanitarian reasons, NGO's and the media focus on the remaining activitites, and greatly magnify their impacts.

On the international scene, whaling regulation is viewed two different ways.

Fishery Protection: Many signatory nations only did so for economic reasons. It was duly implied that banning commercial-scale whaling would allow stocks to recover. When stocks were sufficiently robust, whaling would start up again (albeit more strictly managed).

Humanitarian: Many other signatory nations view whaling as evil and barbaric. Massive public support from these nations brought the issue to the interntaional negotiating table, and was the major impetus for getting the ban put into place.

Thus, the first group of nations views the regulations only as a temporary measure designed to bring the stocks back up to commercially exploitable levels. The second group thinks the ban is more of a permanent thing. Technically, the first group is more correct in their interpretation of the regs. However, the humanitarian "demographic" wields enormous political power, and that power would escalate geometrically if large-scale whaling was resumed.

Either way, the international regulations are 1970's era, and in need of a thorough overhaul. Pretty much all the concerned parties know it, but the humanitarian-focused nations are dragging their feet, as they'd be the ones on the defensive. It's harder to argue fishery preservation now, as some stocks have rebounded to levels that may allow commercial harvesting. That's the argument that the economic-focused nations are using right now. They want certain fisheries reopened, as per their interpretation of the original agreement. Legally, they're more in the right.

The Japanese have always had a different view to the marine environment than most over developed countries who should no better, whaling is unnaceptably barbaric and involves a hell of a lot of pain inflicted on animals which display emotions similar to ourselves. If any farmer in the uk were to treat livestock in the way that they treat whales then they'd be lynched. When the whales are killed they are more often than not butchered whilst still alive.

What's next? Are you going to ban seal hunting as well?

-Pretty good meat when prepared the right way! Shouldn't be roasted to hard. Leave some red in the middle, and you have a great meal. Great for BBQ as well.

And for those of you urban people who think I'm kidding, I'm not.

DORSETBOY:
When the whales are killed they are more often than not butchered whilst still alive.

Please stick to subjects you know something about.

KOMPRESSOR:
What's next? Are you going to ban seal hunting as well?

-Pretty good meat when prepared the right way! Shouldn't be roasted to hard. Leave some red in the middle, and you have a great meal. Great for BBQ as well.

And for those of you urban people who think I'm kidding, I'm not.

You gotta love Norwegians....

You know you can get a T-shirt in Norway that says Kill Willy.

I know most péople on the board highly object to whaling from a moral sence, I can only object from a resource management sence as I have never seen any whaling in progress so I cant comment on the pain and suffering, but In Norway, whaling is a tradition and whale meat a traditional food.

At least they stand up for what they believe in and have a sense of humor about it. Its part of what makes them Vikings.

cancun mark:
You gotta love Norwegians....

You know you can get a T-shirt in Norway that says Kill Willy.

I know most péople on the board highly object to whaling from a moral sence, I can only object from a resource management sence as I have never seen any whaling in progress so I cant comment on the pain and suffering, but In Norway, whaling is a tradition and whale meat a traditional food.

At least they stand up for what they believe in and have a sense of humor about it. Its part of what makes them Vikings.

and when 90% of the world is against it and you thumb your nose at them, it say"s a lot about them.

Back
Top Bottom