Whaling: Right or Wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gangrel441:
Well said, Caveman!

You're a hell of a diver, too. :D

Thank you ... jumping on some one because of there spelling is something a little kid does in 2ND grade :D

OR

Someone does it to make them feel better about them selfs

I do not understand the original picture. What is the purpose of the "Greenpeace misleads you" banner on the ship's stern? Isn't that rather silly?

And there is mention of this ship being within a whale-protected zone of sorts? If so, what sort of protection is it if a whaler can enter it?

the "sanctuary" is kind of weird... it's only a sanctuary if the nation
doing the hunting agrees not to hunt there. otherwise, they can give
themselves a permit to hunt for "scientific" purposes (hence Japan's
b.s. about their hunting being scientific):

Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary

The Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary (SOWS) was established by the IWC in December 1994. It covers most of the Southern Ocean south of 40 degrees South, to the ice-edge, and includes all the major feeding areas for whales. Japan has objected to the inclusion of minke whales within the list of species protected from whaling within the sanctuary, and is therefore not bound by the Commission's decision to establish the sanctuary. Japan kills some 400 minke whales within the sanctuary each year, through the provisions of Article 8 of the Convention, which allows any member to issue to itself a Special Permit to kill whales for the purposes of scientific research.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/Conservation...10~International-Whaling-Commission/index.asp

Captain CaveMan:
I bet they tast good. at least there being used as food. people been doing it for hundreds of years and the whales are still here.

Wow CaveMan is a good name for you. I never expected to see folks on this board showing such ignorance. You really think the whales are still there? Maybe you should ask the endangered Right, Blue, Bowhead, Fin, Sei, Humpback, Sperm, and many other whales. The only reason there are ANY left is because strict protections have been put into place that 99% of the world uphold. The right whale has been protected since the 30's and there are still less than 5,000 worldwide.

Check the history of animals like the dodo, black rhino, auk, and passenger pigeon to see how innocent the "noble tradition" of hunting is in driving animals towards extinction. Shortsighted, ignorant, and ill-informed comments like yours really turn my stomach.

Chris

Monkey Knife-fight:
Wow CaveMan is a good name for you. I never expected to see folks on this board showing such ignorance. You really think the whales are still there? Maybe you should ask the endangered Right, Blue, Bowhead, Fin, Sei, Humpback, Sperm, and many other whales. The only reason there are ANY left is because strict protections have been put into place that 99% of the world uphold. The right whale has been protected since the 30's and there are still less than 5,000 worldwide.

Check the history of animals like the dodo, black rhino, auk, and passenger pigeon to see how innocent the "noble tradition" of hunting is in driving animals towards extinction. Shortsighted, ignorant, and ill-informed comments like yours really turn my stomach.

Chris

And twisted facts make for a poor argument. Japan is the only country hunting Minkes, Minkes are not endangered, and 200-400 Minkes harvested a year is not going to change that. It is a supportable take. By distorting the facts, you diminish arguments for much more pressing causes.

gangrel441:
I don't like whaling. I don't eat whale. But once again we see this argument...

MINKES AREN'T ENDANGERED. Minkes have a pretty healthy population. The permit in Japan, IIRC, is to take 200 animals. This will not harm the population.

After you cut through the red tape about research purposes, what is really important to the Japan isn't eating whales, it's catching them. It isn't about the food they get from catching whales, it is about the industry that will disappear if they couldn't.

I too wish we could see this practice stop, but there is no easy solution, and right now, it is not a major problem. If they were catching blues or humpbacks, it would be another story, but frankly, if I had a choice between stopping Minke harvesting in Japan and stopping Grouper taking in the Gulf, I would opt to put an end to the taking of Groupers. Much more pressing issue.

First off they aren't taking 200 they are taking almost 1000 minke whales.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4417462.stm

Also you know why there are so many Minke whales left? Because they are SMALL. The smallest baleen whale. That's the origin of their name. Whalers didn't even bother killing them until they had hunted larger whales into near extinction. Minke have only come under large scale hunting in the past 100 years. It's kind of amazing that we can watch a dozen or so whale species get hunted until their chance of remaining as a species is threatened but then say "But there are lots of Minke". There used to be lots of ALL OF THEM.

Chris

Frankly, my opinion of Greenpeace is no higher than my opinion of shark-finners.

gangrel441:
And twisted facts make for a poor argument. Japan is the only country hunting Minkes, Minkes are not endangered, and 200-400 Minkes harvested a year is not going to change that. It is a supportable take. By distorting the facts, you diminish arguments for much more pressing causes.

What did i distort? I said 99% of the world upholds the whaling ban. And it's not 200-400 Minke whales. And Japan isn't the only nation hunting them. They are also catching endangered fin whales, and have fought to be able to hunt humpbacks. You know distorting the facts to fit your argument is not a very good way to make your point.

Captain CaveMan:
Showing everyone that I misses type a word to try to prove that your right about the topic is week....

LOL...it's "weak", the word you are looking for...or is it "month"? And you mistyped a word in your inane sig...a sig I have seen all over this board. It wasn't a typo. You re-read it plenty of times I'm sure.

Captain CaveMan:
You must think I am really stupid.

You said it, I didn't.

I think you can tell a lot about a person by the effort they put into their communication medium of choice. You may disagree. At the very least, it makes me question the rest of your educational background and wonder whether or not you have any clue as to what you are saying when you tell us taking a few hundred whales won't matter to the ecology of the ocean and planet at large.

Because I doubt you have, say, a postgraduate degree in marine biology. Just a guess.

Knocking animals off the earth is one thing, but taking some for science i think is ok. ya if there taking to many ok stop them, but Like here in IL we have DNR to regulate the animals population witch I think is good. but they still allow me to hunt them.

thats what I was brought up to believe is ok to do, just like the Japanese are raised to hunt whale...and they did stop taking them in big numbers to be happy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom