What 1st and 2nd stages for deco bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You remember that DS4 that exploded on me??

This is what I've upgraded to:

Mark 2 + din 1st stage w/scubapro R190 octo on steel 46 great for the 20 and 10ft. stops.

I use Mark 2 + din w/scubapro R380 octopus on Alum 80's for deeper stops and trimix.

I have several different combinations. Its a piston first stage regulator its got less to go wrong with than diaphram, and it breaths just as good as an apex. The inner parts are the same in the first stage as a Sherwood.

Sherwood = Bulletproof!

Therefore Scubapro = Bulletproof also.

If you want a simple reg that breaths excellent consider the MK2/R190 combination.

:maniac:

I agree matt!!

They are bullet proof I know we've had no problems with them and they are inexspensive and breath like champs!!!:)

NINJA:ninja:

matt or Ninja

I was going to get (2) DS4/TX40 because of the recommendations and the good price. Do you know how the Mk2 /R190 and Mk2/380 compare in price to the apeks i have looked at.

also, which of the 2 (Apeks or SP) of the models i listed above are the least complex? My goal is to get the best euipment i can for the cash i am spending, however i dont want to pay more than $200-$250 out the door.

i need one setup for O2 for
i need one setup for 50%

taken the above, which reg should i use for which bottle ?

TMD

Hey,

Anyone have any experience with the Apeks DS1 or DS1 nitrox for stage bottles? They only have a single HP and a single LP port. I like the idea simply due to less parts and things that can go wrong with it. I was considering the Nitrox DS1 with a yellow/green tx40 or tx50 2nd stage.

I've been looking into them and according to my LDS (They spoke with US Divers at length), they WILL be making the Apex "nitrox" line available but are waiting on the final version of the manuals to be done. Hopefully within the next couple of months.

ALSO:

anyone have any opinions on the "thimbal/pony" SPGs as opposed to the 6 inch hose with a standard guage on it?

I'm not familiar with the DS1 first stages.

As for the little pressure gauges, they are hard to read for me underwater. With the regular gauge, you don't have to struggle to see the pressure. It's just a glance away, which is what you want.

Mike

Lost Yooper

Seams how your mail is full i will post my question in regards to your private msg.

like i mentioned before i am setting up 2 new stage bottles and i need to get new 1st and 2nd stages for both.

So far i think i am going with apeks DS4 / TX40 's, i currently use R190's and performance is just ok, hence the Apeks. i will spend $250 out the door for each.

1. For this money is the DS4 / TX40s my best option ?
2. Do i need a better performer for my 50% deco bottle vs. my O2 deco bottle?

TMD

Hmm...

As far as I can tell, it looks like the DS1 is similar to the DS4 minus the turret so you only have 2 ports instead of 6.

If that is the case than it should perform just as well for a deco reg without the rotating turret connection as a possable failure point.

What I'd like to know is if I'm right on that.

BTW: Here's the pony gauge I was interested in. http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/Product.cfm?PL=Gaug&SL=gpb

My dive buddy dove with the pony gauge it is just too small to be any use its too hard to read due to its size, i wouldnt waste my time or $ on it. its not just my opinion, he got rid of them and went to short SPGs.

i may sound harsh on this, but i have first hand experience with those.

TMD

TMD,

I don't know what's up with my inbox. It says it's full, but there's nothing in it. I have to talk with someone today about it.

IMO, the Apeks regs are the best on the market. They are renowned for their reliability, though NO reg is impervious to failure.

You want a sweet breather for your O2 reg especially for long hang times. I would spend the extra $20 for so fo the adjustable second stage.

As for the DS4 "blowing" up, there is only one way this could possibly happen:

You would have to have a Freeflow Control Device on the second stage (which some people use but are totally unneeded) to have been in the closed position. Then you would have to have an interstage pressure increase (basically a first stage failure). Normally, an interstage pressure increase would simply cause a slight freeflow out the second stage -- which would easily be dealt with by turning valve on and off while you were breathing on it. Then, in Matt's case, the OPV would have to fail (of course, the OPV wouldn't be necessary unless you were using a FCD). After all of that, the hose or the seal would blow. So, the moral of the story is that you shouldn't try to fix a potential problem by introducing "solutions" that can result in a more serious problem (blowing of the seal or hose).

For a stage/deco bottle, all you need is a first stage, second stage, and a pressure gauge. You pressurize the reg prior to getting in the water and keep the valve turned off (this is why the FCD is totally unneeded). If, in the highly unlikely event, your DS4 first stage develops an interstage pressure creap when you turn it on, you'll notice the second stage will free flow a bit. Depending on the rate of flow, you can simply breath on it, or turn the valve on and off as you breath.

That's all there is to it -- no need to complicate things. FCD's are yet another gimmock out there that are a non-solution to anything.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom