What all metal regulator should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minimalistdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there, I am new to this forum. I have been diving for a couple years, and have been renting my regulator. I have been picking up one piece of dive equipment at a time. I think the next thing I will get is a regulator.

I want something that is mostly metal construction, because I think plastic looks kind of tacky. Just the way I am. And I would like it to be compact.

I have been looking at two options:
1. Locally at a dive shop I have seen the Scubapro MK17/A700. It is shiny and nickel plated and compact. It is DIN or Yoke. I would probably go with yoke since that is what I am used to.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Sc...ro+MK17&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
2. POSEIDON SCUBA DIVE TECH CYKLONE. It has an exhaust port on the side, and is DIN only. It looks pretty cool, and I guess this is what the German Navy has been using for 50 years. The local dive shops don't know much about these.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=PO...gulator&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Which one would you recommend? I don't see myself testing out a regulator. I will probably just do my homework and then order one online. Either one will be better than the stuff I have been renting.

I like to keep things kind of sleek and minimalist. I just got a Backplate and wing with one piece harness for Christmas. And I plan on getting an integrated inflater/secondary regulator for the wing to reduce the components. Then I want to get a wireless air dive computer like a D9. But all in good time. I am taking it slow. I mostly dive in fresh cold water in the northwest, but hope to do some salt water diving if I ever go on vacation to some place tropical.

Is there a third regulator model I should be considering that fits my needs of all metal construction (except the mouthpiece), sleek and small?

Thanks for your advice

How abpout a latter Conshelf 14? Total after a full rebuild should put you back 150-200 or 50-100 if you do it yourself.

A Poseidon will take you anywhere from the Tropics to under the ice and never miss a beat. If you can get it serviced, that would be my choice.

I have both a Cyclon and a Jet stream on my bail-out bottles, and used them on my doubles before that with no problems, freeflow or otherwise. Don't worry about it being DIN. Just buy a DIN to yoke adapter; you can get a used adapter fairly cheap, it doen't matter what brand. FYI, set the intermediate pressure on the Cyclon from 135-150 PSI. They can be prone to freeflow at the reccomended 170-180 PSI. You won't be disappointed with it.

My first reg ever was a Cyklon. Still love it and still have a soft spot in my heart for those oddball Swedish side-breathers.

They're hard to find techs for, and can be difficult to set up, but if you have a good tech, they breathe like nothing else.

My first 100 dive were with a set of Dacors. A 960 first stage and a pair of XLE's. All metal, brass and shiny chrome. I've still got a couple sets of them in fine condition which I haven't used for a few years. You can get them on Ebay for a song and kits are available if you look around. Most of the parts like O-rings and diaphrams can be found or substituted and if you need metal parts the used regs are so cheap you can buy a couple extras for parts. I've got a couple rebuild kits in case I want to use them sometime. They look old school and are as tough as a '58 Buick.

Get the Scubapro MK17/A700 combo. You have good taste and understand quality. They also breath very well, can be serviced anywhere without costing you an arm or leg.

I'll second the Mares proton 42 with the cold water dry kit and the metal octo. I own one and it is great for cold water. I use it in the Great Lakes from April to November.

The Posidon regs are great regs too, but a few board members have complained that it is very difficult to get them serviced in the U.S.A.

Also, I think the Sherwood Blizzard is a good value for your money. I have it on my pony.

You mentioned later in your post that you were considering an integrated octo/inflator. You may want to do a search here on the board as that is a hotly debated topic ie., octo vs air2 and make up your own mind from there. You may want to consider a standard octo instead.

Happy diving,

Jason

Hi there, I am new to this forum. I have been diving for a couple years, and have been renting my regulator. I have been picking up one piece of dive equipment at a time. I think the next thing I will get is a regulator.

I want something that is mostly metal construction, because I think plastic looks kind of tacky. Just the way I am. And I would like it to be compact.

I have been looking at two options:
1. Locally at a dive shop I have seen the Scubapro MK17/A700. It is shiny and nickel plated and compact. It is DIN or Yoke. I would probably go with yoke since that is what I am used to.
Scubapro MK17 a700 items - Get great deals on Sporting Goods items on eBay.com!
2. POSEIDON SCUBA DIVE TECH CYKLONE. It has an exhaust port on the side, and is DIN only. It looks pretty cool, and I guess this is what the German Navy has been using for 50 years. The local dive shops don't know much about these.
POSEIDON SCUBA CYKLONE items - Get great deals on Sporting Goods items on eBay.com!

Which one would you recommend? I don't see myself testing out a regulator. I will probably just do my homework and then order one online. Either one will be better than the stuff I have been renting.

I like to keep things kind of sleek and minimalist. I just got a Backplate and wing with one piece harness for Christmas. And I plan on getting an integrated inflater/secondary regulator for the wing to reduce the components. Then I want to get a wireless air dive computer like a D9. But all in good time. I am taking it slow. I mostly dive in fresh cold water in the northwest, but hope to do some salt water diving if I ever go on vacation to some place tropical.

Is there a third regulator model I should be considering that fits my needs of all metal construction (except the mouthpiece), sleek and small?

Thanks for your advice

Because local shops don't know much about Poseidons (amongst other reasons, such as the hoses they use and high IP), I'd go with the A700. Gotta think about where you're going to get it serviced.

Get the mk17 in DIN, and use a yoke adapter until you get your own tanks. Even some rental tanks have convertible valves that accept DIN or yoke by removing a small insert. DIN really is a superior connection, and a DIN reg can grow with you as your diving progresses.

Back
Top Bottom