What and how is it used ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like it could be for surface supplied air source with two possibilities. ! Surface supply hose on one port and a gauge on the other or 2, surface supply on one port and a second source of air from a bailout cylinder and first stage on the other port.

Nah, I knew the guy (shirt-tail relative)...... :rofl3:

Looks like it could be for surface supplied air source with two possibilities. ! Surface supply hose on one port and a gauge on the other or 2, surface supply on one port and a second source of air from a bailout cylinder and first stage on the other port.

You only have one other opening port. What are you going to do, put another " T " fitting on it for the second hose. Both gauges will still read the same

Bill

You only have one other opening port. What are you going to do, put another " T " fitting on it for the second hose. Both gauges will still read the same

Bill

ummmm... he was talking about my posted picture..... Knowing the guy, it was likely an attempt to "frugally" twin the single LP port on his equipment....

John C. Ratliff:
If used on an oxygen cylinder, I'd be very wary as trying to undo the seal by simply twisting the gauge to bleed off pressure as it could lead to an oxygen fire/explosion.

SeaRat
Interesting comment and a good point.

We cascade fill our own portable O2 tanks at work. We probably fill an average of 5 tanks/day, and I have worked there over 11 years now. There is no bleeder valve in our system, we just turn off both valves (cascade and tank) then loosen the yoke fitting to bleed off pressure. Nothing crazy has happened yet.

I know this is probably not the safest practice (I leaned this in the past year as I have started reading about at home gas blending) but it is not as scary as it is made out to be either. When I started reading the O2 Hackers guild I would have been scared to even work with O2 had I not done it for so long. O2 Hacker states filling at 60psi/min yet I have seen MANY folks fill tanks almost as fast as they will fill. When I was "taught" I was told to fill slow but even then it was still probably 500+psi/min.
Nwcid,

Please watch this video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lw_fhNAIQc

Please also read this paper by Dr. Sanjay Gupta and C.B. Jani titled Oxygen Cylinders: "Life" or "Death."

http://www.ajol.info/index.php/ahs/article/view/7105/30202

then ask yourself whether it is worth the risk, or whether you may wish to change your practices. And yes, this is the same Dr. Sanjay Gupta who works now for CNN.

SeaRat
John C. Ratliff, CSP, CIH, MSPH

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom