What are all the different wing shapes for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

intheair10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
There's about 20+ wings shapes, sizes, and I hate the idea of basing my choice simply on how it looks.

What are pros and cons of having one that is donut or horseshoe shaped, or tapered at the top? I'm assuming that a wing that has less than 40 lbs of lift is meant for singles/warm or cold water and more than 40ish to be used for doubles.

If an inflator hose is mounted center-top of the cell, does this interfere with the first stage?

For now, my diving will be primarily with singles, warmer water with a possibility of cold water since I live in MN and would use a farmer-john 7mm and AL80. I'm interested in cavern, wreck, and possible tech diving. I'm 185 lbs., 5'11'', an have narrow shoulders. My top choices for harnesses are the Apeks WTX and of course the Transpac.

The Travel 360 is my top choice, is the WTX compatible?

Last edited:
There's about 20+ wings shapes, sizes, and I hate the idea of basing my choice simply on how it looks.

What are pros and cons of having one that is donut or horseshoe shaped, or tapered at the top? I'm assuming that a wing that has less than 40 lbs of lift is meant for singles/warm or cold water and more than 40ish to be used for doubles.

If an inflator hose is mounted center-top of the cell, does this interfere with the first stage?

For now, my diving will be primarily with singles, warmer water with a possibility of cold water since I live in MN and would use a farmer-john 7mm and AL80. I'm interested in cavern, wreck, and possible tech diving. I'm 185 lbs., 5'11'', an have narrow shoulders. My top choices for harnesses are the Apeks WTX and of course the Transpac.

The Travel 360 is my top choice, is the WTX compatible?

Hi,

Great question and one we get frequently. We have a wonderful tool on our website called the Solution Finder. I would recommend you read the BCDs and Harnesses area under the solution for "What type of wing is right for me?". This will give you a better idea of how each wing performs. You are correct...you definitely don't want to buy according to looks!

The Travel 360 seems to be a great wing for you based on what you've written.

PS: I would go with the TransPac :blinking:

Best,
Kathleen

Back
Top Bottom