What are some of your favorite dive sites in our area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raven C

Reaction score
I really like diving wrecks and I have enjoyed diving the Betsy Ross the most so far.

So far the best charter boat I've been on was with Capt. Terry Crowell in St. Marys GA.

R

I'm still a new diver and have only been in a couple of lakes, but my favorite so far is Lake Norfork in north central Arkansas. There quite a few sites and there's sites for lots of different levels of divers.

I dive with a shop out of Jonesboro whenever I get the chance. They go out on Saturday and Sunday most weekends of the season, the boat's free, and they feed you free hot dogs. They have a tip tank now which I'm guessing they'll start using next season.

The shop is J&T dive shop and the owner is Terry Sharp. If anyone would like a number when spring rolls around again, let me know. I'd be happy to share.

There's also a bunk house (unrelated to Terry) that was created with divers in mind. It's $15 a night, and is basically camping with a roof, a mattress, and hot water. Lots of hot water. It's charming though. You can look out the window in the bathroom and watch the cows in the pasture. :D

Lakes Jocassee or Keowee in upstate South Carolina.

Jocassee is by far the better diving of the 2 (better vis). Several good areas to dive in (by land or boat), not to mention for the tech divers it's wicked deep (300'+ I don't remember exactly I'd have to drag out my map) and cold.

Keowee does however have an area that you can dive in year round in a wetsuit near the nuclear power station:wink:.

By the way, might be looking to dive this weekend or next. Shore or boat.

Lots and lots of locations on RavenC's and my website... Check out http://www.LCscuba.com . Click on "Dive" and then, "Places to Dive."

By the way... I'd be thrilled to change the name of the Lowcountry Scuba Club to coincide with whatever name we come up with for this section... That way, our area not only has it's own section on Scubaboard, but also it's own website. Since LCscuba.com sees more than 100,000 hits a day, the traffic would be beneficial for both Scubaboard and LCscuba... It would be fantastic to share.

Also, LCscuba.com has it's own mailing list... Which I would recommend everyone get on, since we do a monthly (or so) newsletter through that list. However, if there really is a consolidation of LCscuba and this section of Scubaboard, that's going to have to be rethought so that we're all putting all of the information in one place.

The objective, as always, has been simple: To get more divers diving more. Consolidation and cooperation is key to ensuring that happens without a hitch.

This is very cool.

hey do you like artifacts and fossils? i know of a garinteed spot here in bluffton

i want post it here in the forum because some may say ...boy hes dumb for giving out spots but ide befriend any local to a future dive, just im me or mail me ill give you all my info, and at least its worth in wieght as gold

im so new here folks and just looking for a forum home to chat
and greet

chat at yall later

Any relation to Craig Ingram?

Frankly, we've all been pretty open to sharing dive spots, although we've been shy about doing that for fossil and artifact sites.

We know of a few as well, and would be interested in a private "trade." :)

Fossils vs. artifacts: We prefer one over the other depending on the day and our mood. :) I'm personally pretty partial to artifacts and wreck diving, although the fossil stuff is so good here that I transition easily. RavenC, my buddy, hasn't ever expressed feelings any different. :)

I'm out on Hilton head and been diving for a couple years now though haven't had chance to actually do much diving.

Have Done on Eagles Nest and a site (Can't remember the sites name) but off the south end of the island.

I have wanted to dive the Bestsy Ross but our local dive shop is up in the air right now so unsure if and when I will ever make it out there.

Also SeaJay you could have 2 links on the site one for the board as a whole and then one to our own specific topic area to make it convenient for users.

I for one am for keeping the name but then again am biased LOL Love the logo I did mention to Raven about improving it's quality though as the dimensions are off compared to the actual images size. I'll give you 2 guesses at what I like doing when home LOL:wink:

scottish2 once bubbled...
I'm out on Hilton head and been diving for a couple years now though haven't had chance to actually do much diving.

Have Done on Eagles Nest and a site (Can't remember the sites name) but off the south end of the island.

"HHI Reef?" Check my maps on my site... I think you're referring to HHI.

I have wanted to dive the Bestsy Ross but our local dive shop is up in the air right now so unsure if and when I will ever make it out there.

Yeah... Let me be frank here... We've been diving this area for only a year or two, and have seen both shops and charters come and go at an alarming rate. I suggest that you stick with the Club rather than the shop... You never know about the shop, and the Club can "pick and choose" whoever's best.

But rest assured that we have a couple of charters out of Beaufort which are both excellent and affordable. All we need is a minimum of four divers, which, believe it or not, we've had difficulty in getting. Simply put, people just don't seem to be that serious locally...

...But with this section up and running, we should be able to get that number of divers regularly... And maybe now we really can pull some great dives together.

The 'Ross is always a priority. :) Come get wet with us! :D

Yeah HHReef sounds right I kept thinking the tire reef which I knew was in same general area but don't think they are one and the same. This had a sunken vessil of some sort or another. Visibility was bad that day could barely see 10 feet was middle of summer so...:rolleyes:

And yeah this shop actually had moved into a bigger shop not that long before but lately he's in some warehouse on a back road last I heard. Will have to advise him he needs to stay open as there is a local demand. But now that I have found the site will be useful. Roughly what are charters running? Don't have a lot of extra $$$'s to put into pay charters but every now and then can get enough together.

i promise as soon as im able ill come get wet with you i no one else that could watch over a couple of bubble suckers like the wife and i,, hope you dont mind

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom