What are the biggest challenges for female divers compared to men?

What is your biggest challenge when diving?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a tourist diver that only has her own mask, snorkel, and fins, the biggest problem is ALWAYS wetsuit fit. I've yet to be in a remote location renting gear and had a women's wet suit size to choose from (though from the comments here it would seem that women specific wet suits don't necessarily fit any better).

My biggest issue is sizing. I'm barely 5'4 but stocky with man calves. I bought a Hollis Neotek 8/7/6 mm for issues being in cold water and not enough money to get a drysuit. XXL fit except it was long on the legs and big on the arms. The internal dams that help prevent waterflow didn't work on the arms because I was too small and water moves a lot until the top of my calves. When I called Hollis if they made an XL/short why don't they make a XXL/short and all I was told was they have no intention to make that size. sigh

Look for a used Drysuit, or look into a Nova Seaskin, a made to order Drysuit from the UK for around $600 - REALLY!

I have been wondering where to ask this question for a long time. I was glad to see this forum and the poll. I voted other, because definitely my period is the biggest challenge. I went with my husband on an 80 ft. OW dive once, day 1 or two of the blessed period. Came out of the water, sat down in the boat, and when I stood up was sitting in a puddle of blood, as if I had been wearing no protection whatsoever. It seemed the pressure had wrung it right out into my suit and there it was for the world to see. So, So embarrassing. so, what do you do?

We are planning a big trip with the kiddos and knowing my luck I will start the first day of the trip, even if it's not due, just because that's how I roll.

Aww, that sucks. Hope that doesn't happen and hope you find something that works for you.

Just to point out that carrying doubles around sucks no matter if you're a man a woman or something in between.

As a woman of below average size, biggest issue is sizing. Of everything from wetsuits (had to have them custom made), to fins (have to use full foot with a boot), to bc (although my zena is working well).

The biggest ongoing sizing issue is the size, or rather the height of the standard al80 tank. They really weren't designed for women, who do tend to be shorter than men. They certainly weren't designed for short women like me (150cm). It is rather annoying to have the tank reach your knees, especially if you are trying to negotiate a ladder in your gear!

I know this is a woman's forum but I'd like to ask a question to Iralub.

Have you considered a twin 5 instead of a 10 litre tank?

Also seems to me that fire fighters use 5 litre carbon fiber tanks so you might be able to make a twin set that doesn't weigh much as well as fitting your size better.

Just a thought.

//

And since I'm here I'll just give my impression as a diving instructor. Seems to me that the weight issues are not a problem unique to women. Yes, men are generally stronger for their size but weight isn't the issue I see women struggling with. The only real difference in training men and women is that more women have longer hair. I ask women (and men but it doesn't happen much) with long hair to braid them. Problem solved.

R..

Diver0001, pretty much all my diving involves flying, so I end up using whatever tanks the dive op has. Some ops have al72 or al63 tanks and when they do, I use them and it's great. I use less air than most, so I'm ok with a smaller size. It's pretty rare for dive ops to have those though. I've also used al53 on shallow dives. I'm getting better with the weight of the tank, but can't fix the size issue if smaller tanks aren't available.
On the bright side, I never have trouble getting help when needed :)

Btw, with long hair, I got myself a bang wrangler and it works like a charm. Long hair is a choice anyway, it's not an inherent attribute, so if hair gets in the way of diving, is not the dive industry fault.

Iralub, I am petite as well. Al 63's or 72's are great, and a HP steel 80 is the same height as the AL 63 but heavier. The weight is manageable, and you just wear less weight. They're not always available when traveling, but sometimes you might get lucky.

Back
Top Bottom