What are the dive conditions on Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buddha64

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone been to Bonaire in the last couple of days/weeks?

I've been reading in other forums that the visability has been greatly reduced and that a thermocline has come fairly shallow around the island. Just wondering if this has worked it's way out yet. BTW 18 days till I get there:D And of course I'm catching a cold, hopefully it'll only last a couple of days.

I've also read about a couple of fishermen with cement blocks for anchore in a particular spot, have they been stopped yet?

George.

Viz has been reported to be variable. As of today a report of 40 feet on the south end.

Monitor Bonaire Talk for up to date details. Check the threads on "Trip Reports" and "Diving."

Topics - Bonaire Talk

I was there two weeks ago. Viz was best I've seen in past 3 years (over 150 ft) on two days, then dropped to "only" about 80 on others.

Just an FYI, the south end of the island has shallower stuff, and more sand, which causes some viz issues. The north sites are a bit steeper, and have less sand to backwash.

On one day, there was a noticeable mixed thermocline, starting about 30 feet, with a chill all the way down to around 90 feet. That is only with a 2mm shorty, though.

I did notice some reef damage, 30 feet and shallower, from the hurricane that passed 80 miles to the east last year. Lots of the purple sponges were knocked over in the shallow depths. Bummer.

Our friends got robbed twice - once at their condo on the south end, and once at a dive site. Leave NOTHING in your car, the car UNLOCKED, with windows DOWN. The thiefs will go completely through your car. Every "hiding place" you think you have, they already know. Don't leave gear out on the patio (even second floors, which they will climb), or anything of value in your car while at the grocery store, or in town.

Other than the minor annoyances, it is still one of our favorite places to dive.

Good warnings. But I have never had an issue with the truck or gear. When staying at Buddy's, Habitat, Caribbean Club, Plaza often left gear out to dry on first floor patio or second floor deck. Never a problem although the risk is there.

I was there last week for the first time so I can't compare visibility but it wasn't as good as what I thought it would be. In some places it was probably less than 30 - 40 feet. There were a few locations that I felt the thermoclines but I never got cold in a 3 mil full wetsuit. We quite a few dives on Captain Don's house reef. Other sites were - Lenora's reef, Ebo's reef, Rock Pile, Weber's Joy, Oil Slick Leap, Windsock, Hilma Hooker, Alice in Wonderland and Tori's reef.

We had no problems with theft but we talked to someone at the resort who had their clothes taken out of their truck. I had clothes and a dive gear bag in the truck that they didn't bother so guess it is pretty random. We also left our dive gear out to dry on the balcony the last day.

We saw people in small boats fishing in the later afternoon/evening north of Captain Don's. I also found fishing line and a hook on one of my dives. I'm not sure where you are referring for the cement blocks.

Hope your cold doesn't get worse. The weather was beautiful last week. Low 80's and only one short burst of rain. Have a great trip!

Just back Sunday from Bonaire. Thought visibility was fine, typical 40 -60 feet depending. Was diving north and snorkeled around town and south on saturday. Had no issues with theft but did go a bit off the beaten trail. really don't leave much to steal, crappy tee shirt and shorts and sun glasses.water temp was 82 on my computer. Used a heavy version of lycra and it was fine for me.

Thanks for all the updates. The last trip out to Bon, three years ago the vis was around 100 foot. It doesn't sound like they are too terrible bad now though. I already new not to leave anything in the car/truck and the last time there we didn't have any issues. No problem with gear either.

I broke down today and called the Doctor, usually I just let it run it's course but I didn't want to take any chances with the trip this close.

Again thanks for all the replies, I still can't wait.
George.

Just back last week from a 2 week stretch on Bonaire. Every so often upswells come up from the deep (usually in summer) which is beneficial for the reef (however not to divers). This was the first trip that I've ever experienced them. One occasion we hit a thermocline at 45 feet. However the next day, down to 100 feet & nothing. The viz varied from a low of 40 to 100 out at Klein.
One thing to remember..The ocean constantly changes. So because one site had 100 foot viz, the next day it could be much lower;. depends on the wind speed, direction, current & god only knows what else. Enjoy your trip & have fun.

Back
Top Bottom