What are the "must do's" on Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive at dawn. Start out about a half-hour before sunrise and head up the reef. Look at all the night feeders trying to get their last meal before turning in. Pretty soon you'll notice that it's still dark where you are but the surface is bright. The the sun reaches critical angle and the light penetrates and all of a sudden your night dive has turned to day. Work your way back looking at all the day feeders getting that first meal of the day. Shift change in the ocean is fabulous and exciting.

Keep your regulator in your mouth and your mask on as you exit lest you are hit with the smell of bacon and coffee cooking. Your powerful hunger must be sated with a quick trip to the bakery for fresh gouda and bread.

Dive again at sunset. Lie on the sand at 30 feet and watch the big orange ball disappear.

Being that you have a lot of time to spend on Bonaire, one day should be spent in the wildlife perserve on the northern end of the island. Pack a picnic lunch and your dive gear. We had a pretty relaxing day up there even though I forgot the name of the place.:D

Norm Cover:
Try dinner at Richards. It is next to the Carib Inn.
Book early and ask for the place at the end of the dock. We did this for our 25th anniversay in February. We truly enjoyed watching the sunset that evening. There is only one table. They give you a handheld transmitter to call them when you want something (food, wine, dessert). There is certainly no rush. It was a bit expensive for food, but you can't beat the location. Well worth the effort. Take your camera.

Non diving/Retaurants
1)Sunday afternoon music with the locals(mostly) at Cai
2)Lunch or dinner at the Rose In in Rincon -Dont miss this one-GREAT Island cuisine
3)Local Snack Shacks-dont be afraid to immerse yourself..good and cheap
4)Lost Penguin -Great breakfast and Eggs Benedict-wonderful owners as well!
5)Spend a day in the Natl Park-I was there for two weeks and was glad we did!!(take the long route-pack a lunch and snorkleing or dive gear)
6) Richards,Casablanca,Bobbe Jeans BBQ,Havana-no food but great Jazz collection-Anton and Pic are super nice.the place just has a good vibe IMHO...
7)Groceries-Cultimara is Ok... but we found the Warehouse over by the airport to be cheaper and a better selection.
8) The only thing I bring food & drink wise is coffee (love my Peets) and some booze-the premium liquor can be expensive on Bonaire.

Diving-Its all good!!! Dont miss Karpata and as Tom said a dawn dive -The Hilma Hooker is a neat early morning dive.Oil slick leap is a great night dive!
Larry Wild Side is great..its worth the $$!
Dont prepay for any boat dives..the only ones I would do would be Klein...besides Bonaire is all about the shore dives

You will love it!!Have fun!

Check out China Nobo for good Indonesean / Chinese food at VERY reasonable prices. They are on Kaya Industria at Kaya Niki Boko Zuid.

Also, near the same corner but on NB Zuid just south of the intersection is El Fogon Latino for Latin/Caribbean food - not fancy but very good.

Cold Bright beer:wink:
check out Antirols(sp) Catering
Oh yeah diving
Karpata and 1000 steps
I did like the dives at Klien Bonaire, need to get the log book to remember which ones though

Go north around the fuel storage till you find Taylor Maid. Bounce slowly along the packed rocks until you encounter the tree in the road. Enjoy the solitude and sunbathe naked. Do a dive in your birthday suit and discover a totally free and one-with-nature experience. Carry a length of bright colored rope or a reel and mark your path out through the staghorn so you can come back through easily without breaking any coral or scratching yourself.

Enjoy the sun while looking along the waterline for seaglass.

Then keep going and visit the fishing village at the end of the road. See the catch of the day and buy a chunk of grouper or snapper for the grille tonight. Or stop at Rose Inn and ask Melfina to cook it for you.

Take a shortcut over the ridge on Mai-Mai road.

This thread is adding to my PBD...

Tom Smedley:
This thread is adding to my PBD...

Tom, I was just sitting here reading this thread thinking I hate all of you....the thread is making my PBD really act up. Should we warn them about it or just let them find out for themselves. :D

I have a trip report, gallery and slide show for Bonaire, you will have a great time. As others have said Town and Salt Piers and book them on arrival.

http:/www.aquabluedreams.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom