What are the "must do's" on Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley:
Then keep going and visit the fishing village at the end of the road. See the catch of the day and buy a chunk of grouper or snapper for the grille tonight.

This thread is adding to my PBD...

Where are you talking about? I was planning on trying to find a place to buy some fresh catch to grill since GRI has grills to use.

As far as PBD i have it bad.

jghflash:
We're leaving October 27 for a two week trip (first time) to Bonaire! :D

What are the you-just-gotta-do-it-see-it-dive-it-eat-there places. I know, I know......do a search and read all the prevous posts. I did that and I just want to make sure I don't miss anything. Also, it's getting cold up north so maybe you guys want to dream about warm Caribbean water and fantasize about that last trip you took to Bonaire! Thanks for your suggestions.

Read and ask all you want, but you no doubt will miss something if you try to stick to a list and will not be able to do it all on one trip(unless you are staying for a month). This I know. Not to slam the others who just want to help you here, but IMHO... forget a list. It becomes counter productive, or as I like to consider it...NOT island time...which you will understand soon enough. Go and enjoy Bonaire. Dive the south side, dive the north side, get to the east side if you can (and for this you must secure a guide). Go to Klein(boat) at least once if you can. Eat at places where you think the food looks good, it usually is. And after all is said and done and you are back home, get ready to contemplate the next trip back. Enjoy!!! and dive safe!

Jet

I think we should warn them....JGH-there is this thing called PBD."Post Bonaire Depression" that seems to afflict many of us...You will know all about it when you return!
I used to have a list of all the places in the world I wanted to travel to and dive
Tahiti-Check
Coz-Check
Roatan-Check
Turk and Caicos-Check
Bonaire.......
After my first trip to Bonaire I find myself only wanting to return...

Its a special place...you will love it!
Have a great trip and report back!

Drewpy:
I think we should warn them....JGH-there is this thing called PBD."Post Bonaire Depression" that seems to afflict many of us...You will know all about it when you return!
I used to have a list of all the places in the world I wanted to travel to and dive
Tahiti-Check
Coz-Check
Roatan-Check
Turk and Caicos-Check
Bonaire.......
After my first trip to Bonaire I find myself only wanting to return...

Its a special place...you will love it!
Have a great trip and report back!

Agreed!!

Warning...warning...warning! PBD can only be quenched by another visit. There is no cure!

scubaaaronh:
Where are you talking about? I was planning on trying to find a place to buy some fresh catch to grill since GRI has grills to use.

As far as PBD i have it bad.

At Karpata the road up the coast tees. You can go right and end up in Rincon. You can go left and end up at the gates to the BOPEC storage facility. Keep going past the rock wall and make a right just before the gates at BOPEC. Follow the unpaved road all the way around the facility and you will be back on level with the ocean. You can see a road over packed rocks that goes off to the right and that is Taylor Maid. If you keep going on this road you will see some fantastic scenery and end up at a fishing village. There is another site called NUKOVE where you have to climb down a cliff to get to the water. We dove once at the fishing village itself.

They fish at night and usually have catch available in the morning. If not just ask when they will have some. The village mostly speaks Spanish. There are also some old salt pans with flamingos and feral donkeys all around. Once we left Taylor Maid and were heading back when we ran into some fishermen whose radiator had boiled over. We stopped and gave them our rinse water and some cold beer. Then they were on their way again.

Bonaire is such a fun and exciting place.

Oops, see next post :coffee:

PBD! I now have it bad! Why did I start reading this thread?

Karpata, definitely my favorite!
Klien Bonaire, the elephant ear sponges are amazing
Oil Slick Leap, I jumped AFTER my dive, no gear...
Transition dives. we did Dawn dives almost every day.
Hilma Hooker

Drive around the island.

We loved Richards and Capriccio

Of course if you're unaccompanied and adventurous there's always Pachy's.

Wills grill , you should go the day you get there and ask him to make up some ribs , It takes about 2days and then come back and you will be ever so Happy . all the items on the menu are outstanding . his wife makes a mean drink as-well.

Tell them Big O sent ya,

PBD too! Love Bonaire!

Here's my list:
Food - another vote for It Rains Fishes
Diving - Hilma Hooker & Klien Bonaire dive sites were some of my favorites
Lac Bay - there's a cute little beach bar there and a really nice beach
Tour the Washington/Slagbaai National Park - the roads are rough and you will need a small truck (make sure it's already scratched). There are thorned bushes that encroach onto the park's roads (using the term "road" loosely) and there is no avoiding them. The park is the place to see the pink flamingos, if you like birds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom