What are the "who knew"s of scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny, in my 6 years of diving I've never once had a dream about it. Or any dream about being underwater, for that matter. I have had dreams that I can fly, but they are always interrupted by that damned alarm clock!

Better the alarm clock then the ground!

Hmm. I have lots of dreams about diving. They usually involve parts of the world being flooded and me going diving through places like shopping malls and departments stores. Weird.

How heavy air is and how hot tanks get while filling.

---------- Post added ----------

I am not sure if everyone experiences this but everyone I have asked has. Not long after you start diving you have a dream about being able to breath underwater without the need for equipment.
Never dreamed that but I did try diving without my reg in my mouth once. Hubby has it on video.

Never dreamed that but I did try diving without my reg in my mouth once. Hubby has it on video.

Yeah, my dreams early on were closer to nightmares, where I was free diving and forgot that I wasn't using a regulator, and tried to breathe underwater. I was having those nightmares around the time I was really struggling with the mask-off skills and inhaling water, so I can see where they came from!

It's kind of like learning a new language, to me. You have to keep the "language" of freediving in one part of your muscle memory, and the "language" of scuba in another part!

Oh, here's another thing that surprised me - who knew that if you take off your scuba unit, you can still swim with a weight belt on (assuming you're not overweighted)? We did the freediving lesson in the pool during our OW class, and I thought the instructor was insane when he told us to jump in with just our mask/fins/snorkel/shortie/weight belt on. A bunch of people jumped right in with their weight belts on, but I walked to where I could touch the bottom, slid in, and *then* tried swimming with the weights on. Lo and behold, it worked! We were just neutrally buoyant at that point, not overweighted.

How many have been asked to find something dropped in the water?

How much you can see at night - without a light.

how thru life, marriage, kids, other goals, scuba would be bubbling away in the background of my life - my not so secret obsession for 19 years this october. It seemed like yesterday I learned to dive...

That my gf would follow me through almost zero viz and keep her cool.

That you don't need a boat.

That when "swimming" in 60' of water, I can suck down a tank in 25 minutes.

That a 2 knot current could whoop my A@#.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom