What are these in the water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlyle:
Phyllorhiza punctata, an occasional visitor to our shores.

AAAAA!!! It's that nasty Australian spotted jelly that invaded the Gulf of Mexico four years ago!! Another friggin' exotic! I hate these things almost as much as Lionfish!

On a less paranoid note, now I can see where the confusion about the "second basketball-sized mass" originates. Those are the gastric tentacles, termed gastrozooids. When the longer trailing capture tentacles grab food, they're brought up to these babies for external digestion. Gastrozooids are typically far shorter and more "fluffy" than capture tentacles (dactylozooids), and often overlooked as tentacles at all.

Why is it that in all other pix I have seen now of the Phyllorhiza punctata they are white? Is it cruel to kill a jellyfish? Do they have feelings? Should they be killed if it is an invasion? Thanks to all who replied

PS Are they dangerous? Does their sting hurt? Thanks again...

Back
Top Bottom