What are these metal things at LBTS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mystery solved...

I found them today about 30 feet North of the 'Urinal' and the 'water bucket' almost directly off Datura near the swim buoys. They're some sort of plastic material very similar to what plastic utensils are made of. It's all one piece. I picked the whole thing up and it weighs about one pound in total. So it's not gold bars... I assume it's some of that underwater 'art'. Your picture appears to show two side by side. They don't exactly match the one I found and it was solo so there must be several out there.

I've seen them a few times as well. I'd be interested to know what they are as well. Seem solid, but smooth.

60259_622428775829_24803318_35960576_5397026_n.jpg

Mystery solved...

I found them today about 30 feet North of the 'Urinal' and the 'water bucket' almost directly off Datura near the swim buoys. They're some sort of plastic material very similar to what plastic utensils are made of. It's all one piece. I picked the whole thing up and it weighs about one pound in total. So it's not gold bars... I assume it's some of that underwater 'art'. Your picture appears to show two side by side. They don't exactly match the one I found and it was solo so there must be several out there.

HA! What a coincidence. I was also out snorkeling there this morning. We probably got in the water right at noon. I found it too, just north of the obejcts you mentioned, only I actually picked it up and brought it home. It is made of ceramic and seems to be glazed. A couple little ends broke off. When I first found them, there were three - this time there was only one. If anyone has any idea what this thing is or why it was in the ocean, please let me know.

Sep_11_10_Snorkel_030.jpg

And while we're at it, does anyone know what the 'Urinal' and the 'water bucket' are? I've seen them before also.

JUST GREAT!
Now the freaking transmitters are working above the water again.
Those were hidden from the mother ship.

We will all probably be annihilated by next week by the space aliens.

Way to go Dill-Weeds.

Chug
Eagerly awaiting total destruction, or Thanksgiving, whichever come first.

That explains why it started beeping as soon as I got it home. Maybe I can hitch a ride with George Clinton back to the back to the P-Funk planet on the Mothership Connection.

Last month i did a weekend with the Coral Restoration Foundation in Key Largo. During one of the lectures, we learned about all the different methods being used around the world to re-grow corals. One of the methods mentioned was creating a similar structure out of ceramic for use as a starter point for reef and coral development. As i recall they were also covered with ceramic glaze and various configurations were tried, but eventually abandoned because nothing ever grew on them except algae. This might be a solution to the mystery....

By the way, the link to the mini-documentary I shot for the Coral Restoration Foundation is: YouTube - Coral Restoration Foundation mini-Documentary if you are interested in seeing how corals are being re-grown and re-planted in the Keys.

just my two copper-plated zinc disks,

Great video Doug! I suppose that thing could have been a structure for coral, but I don't see how anything other than algae could grow on it because the surface is very smooth and impermeable. And, since it wasn't attached to the bottom it obviously has moved around quite a bit. We may never know.

HA! What a coincidence. I was also out snorkeling there this morning. We probably got in the water right at noon. I found it too, just north of the obejcts you mentioned, only I actually picked it up and brought it home. It is made of ceramic and seems to be glazed. A couple little ends broke off. When I first found them, there were three - this time there was only one. If anyone has any idea what this thing is or why it was in the ocean, please let me know.

And while we're at it, does anyone know what the 'Urinal' and the 'water bucket' are? I've seen them before also.

I went in around 8AM and came out about that time. The Urinal and waterbucket are just what I call a couple of pieces of 'art' someone put on the bottom in that area. They're probably ceramic too, big hunks of junk. They're covered in alge and you could swim right past them if you aren't looking.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom