What are your top 7 dives and where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mantagirl

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
As we prepare to begin a seven summit bid (climb the highest peak on each continent), my husband and I have been contemplating the "seven summits" of scuba.

What are your 7 summits of diving? Sardine run in Africa? Great whites at Guadalupe? right whales in the southern ocean? Leopard seals in Antarctica? Mantas of the Maldives?

Guadalupe would be high on my list.
Scapa Flow for the historical value.
I'd also like to find Amelia Earhart's plane.

great ideas. The plane would be cool for sure!!! Thanks!

In order to be analagous to the 7 summits we'd need to have one on each continent and they'd have to be physically challenging, right? Maybe with an element of danger? So if you roll in to calm water off a luxury liveaboard to do some excellent sightseeing, that shouldn't count. In which case, I haven't done any of the 7 submergences. Great white diving in Australia could be one--without a cage. The sardine run would be my African entry. A kayak dive in Peleliu could be the Asian entry. A cave dive in Florida for North America? Anything in Antarctica, but throwing in leopard seals would up the ante nicely. Europe? Scapa Flow, I guess. South America? No idea.

Truk (If you do it on a Rebreather it's called Chuuk)
Bikini (good luck on getting bumped to 1st Class on that one)
South Pacific to Indian Ocean (argue location if you will) for Mantas
SA for Sharks (and Giraffes)
Scapa Flow if you've a drysuit and like warm beer
South America? Malpelo Island

The hidden and unknown of our Caribbean?

NE Coast of Grenada
Los Roques and search for the now-you-see-them, now-you-don't wrecks
Holbox for some Whale Sharks
Red Sea, just to visit the Thistlegorm Wreck

What I gotta, haveta do:

http://www.youtube.com/v/whM88K1QN4M

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

embedding of video removed. Warning, not rated G

Last edited:
South America? Malpelo Island
Thanks--I'd assumed Malpelo was Central American since it's on some of the Cocos itineraries, but I see I was mistaken and it is Colombian. I vote for Malpelo too, since it's the only South American dive site I know of, and by all accounts a good one. The crew of the Undersea Hunter were pretty enthusiastic about it.

wrecks - Truk (Chuuk) is definitely a must do for historic value.
NC wreck diving, WWII submarine U-352, etc. same thing... (we are doing this summer)
Scapa Flow - a friend did this and loved it

whale shark snorkeling would be awesome, but the crowds at Holbox are a bit discouraging, so we haven't ventured there at this point.

cenotes in Yucatan, we have done one and need to go back for more.

muck diving in Lembeh, Indonesia - the best place for incredibly weird and bizaar fish on the planet

hammerhead schools - Cocos Island, Costa Rica or Galapagos on a liveaboard

Palau - everything about it makes it the best of the best (we have done a week on a liveaboard there and it exceeded all the hype!)

robin:D

Fantastic ideas everyone thanks.

I'd love to hear more about the raggie dive in SA. I've been looking at that one.

We've tossed around the idea of one on each continent as well as the "7 seas" which has many interpretations. We've also thought about the most "endangered" sea critters.

Scapa Flow seems to be high on everyone's list and Antarctica with the Leopard seals and the Sardine run a must.

I love it, more!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom