What Bill Gates is afraid of

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Somewhere around my living room is an official bound copy of the Facebook, pre Zuckerberg. That’s how I show my kids what social media used to be like.

Somewhere around my living room is an official bound copy of the Facebook, pre Zuckerberg. That’s how I show my kids what social media used to be like.
Wasn't myspace around for a few years before facebook? It was kind of a bloated turd. I remember facebook being nice, clean, lightweight when it started. That was the major appeal it had vs myspace. No pages with crazy wallpapers and horrible music that you couldn't turn off etc. Facebook has really strayed from the nice clean approach they had when they started. Still it's better than myspace was.

My copy of the Facebook is bound, made of paper, with black and white photos arranged alphabetically. It’s the opposite of a senior yearbook, with pictures of incoming prefrosh.

I stopped listening to the WHO after Pete Townsend's brush with pedophilia

And I think you're getting confused in your old age, Windows does NOT run on a unix shell, the NT kernel's based on Dave Cutler's VMS. I think you're mixing it up with OSX.

Sounds like it's time for your ovaltine and bed
Depends which flavor of windows. Some are NT based, not all. NT4.0 was actually one of the better things that they put out. Unfortunately, you need the hard to find SP6 in order to get it to work with USB ports. SCSI drives ran well under that system. It's offspring,2000 was not bad for a lot of the things that I do, but the parallel released ME was total trash. 2000 was fairly straightforward offspring of NT, ME was very much a departure.

sigh, all that experience and you still didn't have it backed up (shakes head)
Footprinted software does not allow a backup. It's a security feature that prevents unlicensed copies from being used. eg - certain versions of RS Logix 500

fyi, if you were THAT good a code monkey you'd have been able to work this out:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off-windows-update-in-windows-10

I disable Windows updates because I get pissed off with having to wait for them to install when it's not a convenient time, and that took me about 20 seconds of googling to work out when I set my first Win10 machine up.
I've used a variety of methods for preventing automatic updates, from not leaving enough free disk space for the download, to deleting some of the key files in the automatic download system (which auto replaced) to editing the internal code of the files that reinstalled themselves. Changes as simple as editing the name of the drive they write to are often enough to get the job done. Methods requiring an Hkey edit can be risky in terms of side effects, depending on what other software is already installed in the system. These were changes to Win 10, which force feeds the updates. Older OS's allowed you to opt out with user settings. I am actually fairly fond of Win 98, as it still had direct hardware control & allowed me better data flow troubleshooting tools at the bit level. That sort of thing can be very useful when identifying security issues in a network environment.

One thing Billy boy seems to be afraid of is overpopulation, at least that is what some of the words from his 2010 Ted talk would seem to indicate. Take a listen at timestamp 2:12.

He said some other equally disturbing things in that little talk, but unfortunately, I was unable to find the full version tonight.

One thing Billy boy seems to be afraid of is overpopulation, at least that is what the words from his 2010 Ted talk would seem to indicate. Take a listen at timestamp 2:12.
And what I'm afraid of is that you will go on endlessly in this thread.....

And what I'm afraid of is that you will go on endlessly in this thread.....
Fair enough. I'll take the hint. I'm done here

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom