What books are you reading these days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey:
Strange yes, but Murakami is considered to be brilliant.

His books are great. Even the covers (Knopf versions by Chip Kidd) are great - strange and rather beautiful.

Due to the evolution thread I just pulled James Lovelock's Gaia Hypothesis off the shelf to reread.

Been on a reading binge recently. The last month has seen me read Dragons of Eden by Carl Sagan, Phantom by Terry Goodkind, Life of Pi by Yann Martel, A Million Little Pieces by James Frey, and I'm currently working on Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond (for the second time).

I'd recommend them all except Phantom. But then again, maybe I'm just getting too old for fantasy novels. :doctor:

If I had to pick one to be the best of the bunch, Life of Pi would be the one. Surprisingly, even though Oprah recommended it, A Million Little Pieces was really good. I guess even the queen of bad taste has to get one right every now and again…

Bryan

While looking for Gaia, I happend across A Bright Shining Lie, the best book about what went wrong in Vietnam, it's quite timely today and worth a re-read so Gaia will have to wait.

I love threads like this . . . I've got all kinds of ideas for the next few months' reading.

Life of Pi was very interesting book. I'm still not sure what to make of it.

TSandM:
Life of Pi was very interesting book. I'm still not sure what to make of it.

That's what I loved about the book. Such an unusual situation, and yet oddly believable. And then, right after you're convinced it is 100% real, he throws a wrench in...

Not your usual story, but entertaining none the less.

Bryan

Back
Top Bottom