What can cause fins to get damaged like this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from Grand Cayman last night and did a lot of snorkeling. On my last day (luckily it happened then) I was about 200 yards out at Cemetary Beach off the shore and noticed that my fin seemed a lot more "floppy" than it is supposed to. After it seemed to be getting worse and worse, I looked down at my fin and saw that it was completely ripped. It was split almost symmetrical on both sides of the fin right at the bend point. Pics are below.

Since I was 200 yards out I immediately started heading in, but was using pretty much one leg to kick in because I didn't want the fin to completely rip off. I switched the good fin to my other leg with like 50 yards to go because it was getting a bit tired. Thankfully the conditions were really calm and I could safely make it in. The day prior, I was at Rum Point and swam into some tough conditions from the shore and thankfully this didn't happen there.

Anyways, what could cause this to happen? I did not bend it on the ground or anything as the water wasn't even shallow enough to do so. Unless I did that a day or two before, and it gradually got worse, I have no clue what could have caused this. I don't recall a specific incident that could have caused this earlier too. These aren't cheap fins either, these were almost $100 and had great ratings.

Atomic Full Foot Split Fins

Anyways, here are the pics of my fin.

View attachment 481204

View attachment 481205

View attachment 481206

View attachment 481207

View attachment 481208
I just got back from Grand Cayman last night and did a lot of snorkeling. On my last day (luckily it happened then) I was about 200 yards out at Cemetary Beach off the shore and noticed that my fin seemed a lot more "floppy" than it is supposed to. After it seemed to be getting worse and worse, I looked down at my fin and saw that it was completely ripped. It was split almost symmetrical on both sides of the fin right at the bend point. Pics are below.

Since I was 200 yards out I immediately started heading in, but was using pretty much one leg to kick in because I didn't want the fin to completely rip off. I switched the good fin to my other leg with like 50 yards to go because it was getting a bit tired. Thankfully the conditions were really calm and I could safely make it in. The day prior, I was at Rum Point and swam into some tough conditions from the shore and thankfully this didn't happen there.

Anyways, what could cause this to happen? I did not bend it on the ground or anything as the water wasn't even shallow enough to do so. Unless I did that a day or two before, and it gradually got worse, I have no clue what could have caused this. I don't recall a specific incident that could have caused this earlier too. These aren't cheap fins either, these were almost $100 and had great ratings.

Atomic Full Foot Split Fins

Anyways, here are the pics of my fin.

View attachment 481204

View attachment 481205

View attachment 481206

View attachment 481207

View attachment 481208

How many dives are on them?
How old are they.? Some rubbers get worse with time.
How much heat are they exposed to over a period of time?

Having had a post retirement ''dive shop'' posting for a number of years...I've seen this before...the fins are composite...hard plastic...mated to soft monoprene...I've opened a carton from a supplier and found similar fins broken in their sealed packaging...this will happen when one of the composite components is rigid...and the other component is flexible...hopefully your local purchasing dive shop will make good...you're better off with a credit than a replacement...as the same will happen again with this type of fin...

Stay away from ''composite'' resin/plastic mixes...I've always favored ''power'' fins made from one compound...and have found monoprene to be superior to natural rubber...as they are considerably lighter...I find OMS slipstream to be the best...powerful/light/S/S spring straps...wash them post dive...rinse and store properly...they will last indefinitely...and they're not expensive...foot pockets are generous...take your dive boots with you when you purchase...

Safe Diving...Warren...

I've only done 2 SCUBA dives with them but I've snorkeled quite a bit with them. But I live in MD and only use them on vacations. I got them last May and have taken them with me on 6 vacations, however only used them on 4 of those. There was a trip to the Keys and Bahamas that I wasn't able to get into the water with them. When I am at home they are just stored in a closet so they aren't exposed to heat at all.

I'd say they have been in the water like 15-20 times including the 2 dives I did, which were in the same day.

Manufacturing defect on your set. contact the dealer or Atomic. They may have seen others come back from the same lot.

It was probably the factory workers maybe training a new guy. screwed up the polymer mix ratio and said, "oh well, nothing we can do now. Lets see if they hold together long enough to get past the warranty". LOL...hey its just like cars, somethimes you get the short straw and get the Lemon..

I'd sure give the company a call. Recently I bought some inexpensive Aqua-Lung fins for my grandson and one of the strap buckles was broken when we opened the package. It had been more than 30 days since I bought them so the dealer would not accept a return (guess who's not getting any more of my business?). I called Aqua-Lung and in about 5-6 days they sent me two complete strap and buckle sets, no charge. Very nice customer service!

My guess is that it’s not one piece of solid rubber and maybe the glue or poxy came loose

Fins can break at that exact spot by standing on them with the blade bent under the foot. Seen Scubapro jets break that way

How old are they? I see a lot of old equipment people bring into my store that is dry rotted. Sun over the years takes it toll. In either case, time for some new ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom