What can I expect for vis, current,Whale Shark! in Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never heard of whale sharks in Curacao. And certainly never seen one in 6 trips.

There are a few sites that often have enough current that they will do them as a gentle drift. Otherwise it's the usual "see what direction the current is going if there is one and start your dive into it." We've had an occasional surprise, but generally currents aren't much of a consideration, any time of year. It's not Coz.

We were there once during the spawning and I don't remember it affecting the viz during the day. (Or night for that matter, since we never managed to catch anything in the act.)

Lots of whale sharks in Curacao.

You just need to know which magazine to look in to see them.

cool, but definitely a fluke (no pun intended!) Poor fellow sounded a bit lost.

We've seen dolphins from the shore a few times, never been in the water at the time of course.

Damselfish:
We've seen dolphins from the shore a few times, never been in the water at the time of course.
Us either, except for the ones we paid for at the Seaquarium/Ocean Encounters. Pretty disappointing though and expensive for a short dive.

The main spawning should be the 29th Sept to 3th Oct, with a smaller one the month before and after. So may be 31st Aug to 8th Sept you may see something. Watch the sponges during the day for smoke and the corals esp. the boulder corals at night.

We will be in Bonaire late September for the spawning as well.

Whale Shark sitings, at least on Bonaire are not common. It depends on the level of plankton in the waters, as that is what they feed on. Every 7 years or so, according to locals, the local islands have a huge plankton population in the waters. This year we have a lot. We had tunicates (salps) already, and the wonderful little reef crabs. If my memory is correct, the sitings of Whale Sharks ususally start around now, and go through August. Granted it is not often, but it does happen, Mantas too..

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom