What can I expect for vis, current,Whale Shark! in Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bosun:
The main spawning should be the 29th Sept to 3th Oct, with a smaller one the month before and after. So may be 31st Aug to 8th Sept you may see something. Watch the sponges during the day for smoke and the corals esp. the boulder corals at night.

We will be in Bonaire late September for the spawning as well.

I'm going to Curacao the first week of Sept with hopes of seeing some spawning. When we were deciding whether to go for the 1st or 2nd spawn, several people told me that first one is the more active one.

Have you been to Curacao during both a first and second spawn week and was your experience that the 2nd one is usually the better of the two? I'm booked so I won't be changing my plans at this point, just curious.

We haven't experienced a coral spawning in Curacao, but have witnessed the spectacle in Bonaire for the last eight years (and the timings are the same as for Curacao). Our understanding is that there are three possible spawnings - the first starting 3 days after the August full moon, the second 3 days after the September full moon and the third 3 days after October's full moon. We've been to Bonaire during the September and October spawnings and are of the opinion that September's is generally the most active.

This year, August's full moon is towards the end of the month, which means that the 'August spawning' should begin around 31st August/1st September and continue for the next 6 or so days, so hopefully you should see some activity during your trip.

Hope this helps and have a good trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom