What can the human body handle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
This question popped into my head during my Decompression procedures class and I forgot to ask it before class broke up. And I also saw one of the JIM suits recently at an aquarium.

How many atmospheres of pressure (which can easily be converted to fsw) can the human body safely withstand without external protection?

I know the deepest dive record is in excess of 1000 fsw, so that's at least 31 ATA.

I believe that you can theoretically go as deep as you want (Source: USN diving manual, I think), until the breathing gas becomes too viscous/dense to breath easily. You will also run into problems with compressing the gas needed--once you get to about a mile, water starts filling a full cylinder when you open the valve. Also, weeks, upon weeks, upon weeks of decompression doesn't sound too practicle. There are probably limits that I don't forsee though.

brandon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom