What can you make out of neoprene?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yesterday at Staples, I saw a lunch sack made of neoprene.

For neoprene weights, I sew them with a machine the same way I sew cordura for lead soft weights,,,Usually single stitch unless it is hyper-strech or really thin like 1mm then maybe double stitch.. To make the seams stronger, you can glue (I use aquaseal) the seams first then stitch through. The same way to water tight (thinning urethanes with a thinner like Cotol helps it penetrate your stitches) I like DUI glue for inside waterproof stitch support (DUI glue is kinda pricy and urethane like aquaseal work about the same for that purpose.. I like 100% nylon thread (heavy stuff from the auto/boat upholstery shop) unless you can find cordura thread (I found Cordura thread at my local auto/boat upholstery shop) Play around with your stitch widths and lenghts to find what works for your material/application.. (My machine is wal-mart $99 nothing great).

I have a wetsuit that I ripped beyond fixible last year. It really sucks because it only had a couple of dives on it. But, I was wondering if there was anything that I could make out of it, that would actually be useful. Thanks.

Room freshing, nothing like the smell of neoprene in the morning. :rofl3:

Q: What can you make out of neoprene?
A: Love
(you make love in neoprene but you get really sweaty)

I've wondered about first aid while under. How about making pressure bandages with it? Just sew velcro at either ends of various width/length pieces. So if u are diving deep or overhead cover and get sliced up on something you can put one on until u can get to the surface and additional care.

Q: What can you make out of neoprene?
A: Love
(you make love in neoprene but you get really sweaty)

:shocked2: Yeah but boy does it chaffe :doh2: :rofl3:

How do you sew neoprene? Can you use a regular sewing machine?
Does anyone have any good links going into detail on this?

Edit: and by this, I mean to make something dive-worthy. Not just stitching two pieces together. :)

No, you can't use a regular sewing machine. You would need an industrial blind stitch machine, and believe me unless you are really planning to sew this is too much machine for most people. I sew allot of heavy canvass, Nylon, and webbing with a walking foot industrial. Anyways not to get to much into sewing... Neoprene is a tricky fabric, I would get some V-69 thread and a selection of repair needles and hand sew it. It might look a little funky but it gets the job done.

I cut the bottom off a gift shorty and made a vest out of it. Used my Walmart sewing machine with heavy duty needle and went slow.

Ohhhh, sell 6X6 inch strips to bike riders, skate boarders and skaters for knee pads.
Make custom covers for wine and liquor bottles (like the beer koozie).
Make pads for table and furniture that sit on hard wood floors.
Make a cozy for a tea pot.
Take it to a beach party, pee on it then use it to light an old tire. (on second thought don't)
Make a float bag.
Make a car seat cover...really only good for cold Canadian nights.

These are some great ideas. Thanks to all. I'm just reading this thread now but it comes at a good time. I have a 5mm drysuit that's a total loss (can't even GIVE it away...LOL).

I think I'll cut it up and make some protective little bags for my mask, computer etc. for transport.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom