What constitutes professionalism?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too was surprised by the demise of the Philosophy of Diver Education thread and have appealed the decision. Regarding your question:

In the words of Guy Le Boterf, a French expert on the development of competencies, "A Professional is a person who possesses a personal body of knowledge and of know-how which is recognized and valued by the market." In addition to ability, confidence, responsibility, belief and respect other key personal qualities that define a Professional are honour, reputation and trustworthiness. Trustworthiness comes from an assurance of reliability. Reputation is not only a signal to your customers but also a commitment mechanism that keeps you up to the mark. Paul Seabright, a British economist working at the University of Toulouse has written, "Those who can convince others of their intrinsic honesty, may thereby prosper, and it may be easier for the genuinely honest to be thus convincing—the more so if honesty, or at least the true and honorable performance of a certain trade or skill, requires a degree of style, confidence and even grace, built up over a long period of commitment to the task, that are hard for an opportunist to feign."

To my concern, it's difficult to consider a lot of scuba instructors as professional when the qualifications for the job are so dismally low. I mean, a person can, literally, be teaching scuba with just a handful of classes and little to no practical experience. Would you trust your car to an auto mechanic who, six months earlier had never picked up a wrench or who perhaps hadn't actually driven one? Would you take skiing lessons from someone who was barely themselves out of the snowplow?

How professional is the scuba instructor who got his certification after spending several days at the quarry, doing multiple dives a day to get in the requisite 100 dives? How professional is the instructor who cannot even keep his own fins off the bottom, much less teach someone else how it's done? Or who has so little understanding of what he's supposed to be teaching that he has to rely on a little slate that he got from his agency? How professional is the instructor who anchors his students firmly to the bottom so they don't have to worry about actually DIVING while they're demonstrating mask clear and reg recovery?

I mean ... is it really all about the money? What say you? What do you see in an instructor that causes you to think of him or her as a dive professional?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm curious, Bob, if you used examples of instructors who most people would agree are probably highly inexperienced and/or incompetent to paint a picture of all instructors.

That in itself says a lot about your point of view but doesn't, in my opinion, reflect on the *majority* of instructors. It does, however, reflect on a minority of instructors that people almost universally have issues with.

The first question in my mind is how fair is it to paint all instructors with *this* brush. If you ask me. Not at all.

It does give us an opening to discuss the bar for "getting in" to this game if someone who achieves that minimum bar can be considered competent but by confusing these two issues (professionalism and the competence level of the lowest skilled among us), you've started out on a foot that's bound to create more confusion than anything else.

Having said that, I'll just speak for myself.

I'm not a professional dive instructor.

Yes I make money at it. I've been involved in training hundreds of people and if I do say so myself, my results are good. Can they improve? Yes. Will they improve? Yes? Every course I teach is a new opportunity for me to do it better than the last time.

Is that professionalism? I don't know and it doesn't matter to me. Maybe my day job affects my thinking about this somewhat, but I think the main measure of professionalism can be made by looking at two things

- the results (the student's skill level)
- the satisfaction of customer quality expectations

If you're teaching people what they need to know (standards, skill-mastery etc.) and you're teaching them to a bar that satisfies them with respect to cost, time, risk and quality and you're doing that with an attitude of integrity (doing what you believe is right), openness (keeping communication clear) and honesty (being realistic), then you're probably showing professionalism.

Where some instructors fail in professionalism, in my opinion, is to make it "about them". There are several examples I can think of, of instructors here on scubaboard who are so busy in their own heads and egos with what *they* want from *their* students that they would appear, to me at least, to have lost perspective on what their students want from them. Some might even go so far as to suggest that satisfying customer quality expectations shouldn't be a goal of instruction, but instead satisfying *instructor* quality expections, should be.

That's not quite the same as, for example, the NAUI approach of allowing instructors to embellish material by, to pick an example, giving students a thorough working knowledge of something relevant like gas-management.

Let's just say there's a fine line in some cases between embelishing material and flying off the rails when personal convictions get in the way of managing this process.

I guess in that way I see being an instructor for *recreational* diving is more like being a coach than being the superstar. The coach stands behind the student and brings out in the student what needs to come out. The superstar says "look at me" "be like me" "accept my ways without question" and only *then* will you be any good. (come to think of it, there's a whole agency built on this attitude). In the first case, if the student wants to become a good warm water diver then the instructor will focus on giving them the skills they need to become a good warm water diver. IN the second case, the instructor won't care what the student wants. The student will have to either drink the kool-aid or fail and then go find an instructor somewhere else who is willing to "coach" them.

So just tying this in with your post, Bob, it gives me some alarm bells when the only thing you really mention about instructors in your introduction are the instructors diving skills. Because you need "coaching" skills for the win.

I know what you're going to say.... "how can someone coach if they don't know how to play" and I think that's a valid concern but it isn't what you *said*. If you want to move the discussion in that (perhaps very productive) direction then this thread might lead somewhere other than into more PADI bashing.

YYMV

R..

Forget PADI ... or any other agency for this discussion ... I've seen instructors I would not consider professional in multiple agencies. As long as the standards for becoming an instructor are so low, you always will. But I have no intention of turning this into an agency-specific issue, and would request anyone responding to avoid the same.

But FWIW - it is not my intent to "paint all instructors" by these example ... but to simply point out some things I see in some instructors who I do not consider professional ... certainly there are many, probably most, instructors out there who are not like that.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Forget PADI ... or any other agency for this discussion ... I've seen instructors I would not consider professional in multiple agencies. As long as the standards for becoming an instructor are so low, you always will. But I have no intention of turning this into an agency-specific issue, and would request anyone responding to avoid the same.

I'm glad we agree. However, my expectations are not very high. I've been reading scubaboard since 2002 and every single thread that starts out with a question about something that's wrong in the industry ends in PADI bashing.

It's like an addiction some people have. They seem to have a deep *need* to blame someone for mistakes....

But FWIW - it is not my intent to "paint all instructors" by these example ... but to simply point out some things I see in some instructors who I do not consider professional ... certainly there are many, probably most, instructors out there who are not like that.

I would agree with you that I wouldn't expect instructors showing the level of competence you described to be very good. I think you started out with a great question, "what constitutes professionalism in scuba training?"

It's just unfortunate that you gave us the answer too... :coffee:

... at least sort of..... you told us what you *don't* like. So what *do* you think is professionalism in diving instruction?

R..

...every single thread that starts out with a question about something that's wrong in the industry ends in PADI bashing. It's like an addiction some people have. They seem to have a deep *need* to blame someone for mistakes....

When someone says anything about an organization that may be interpreted as negative, it's considered bashing the organization. When did honesty and factual information become such a taboo? Why is it that when anything like this comes up on SB that it's suppressed, or erased completely off this board like it never existed (like the Philosophy of Diver Education thread)? When are the facts and issues not worthy of discussion?

When someone says anything about an organization that may be interpreted as negative, it's considered bashing the organization. When did honesty and factual information become such a taboo? Why is it that when anything like this comes up on SB that it's suppressed, or erased completely off this board like it never existed (like the Philosophy of Diver Education thread)? When are the facts and issues not worthy of discussion?

Not sure what happened to the thread in question but I suggest you look back a little further in SB history before you make such claims. There are threads upon threads upon threads that still exist discussing such things to no end. I might not agree with everything that happens here on SB, but IMO SB is a relatively lightly moderated forum along those lines.

I like TS&M's description also but would add another trait. Honor. There is something more honorable about a professional that does good work for reasons other money. That goes without saying for most of us Bob.:wink:

Not sure what happened to the thread in question but I suggest you look back a little further in SB history before you make such claims. There are threads upon threads upon threads that still exist discussing such things to no end. I might not agree with everything that happens here on SB, but IMO SB is a relatively lightly moderated forum along those lines.

Yes, that's why I was so surprised that a thread with hundreds of comments and 4000 viewings disappeared like it was never there without any explanation.

*sigh*

Ok. I don't want to be held accountable for every moderating decision ever made and I REALLY don't want hijack Bob's thread with this crap but I'll answer your question, Wayne.

The thread is not gone. It's been made invisible for the moment because the moderator who locked it needs time to sift through it. it's going to be split so the useful discussion can continue while the PADI bashing gets moved into the Whine and Cheese section.

And she needs time. it's a big thread to wade though and it's not realistic to expect her to be able to do that in a few minutes.

R..

Several people have made very good posts to the old thread DCBc has mentioned! Was it erased because of a lack of professionalism? I do not know why. It was a good thread that had me reading when I could sneek a peek.
There are several posts here that you can get a clear idea of what being a professional means to some well established divers and instructors.
I am a professional diver, I get paid to dive. I am not going to try to convince anyone how professional I am compared to another diver because in the real world, words are just words. I would not be called for jobs if I were less than what peolple want.(A PROFESSIONAL DIVER) I have confidence and integrity in what I do and how I do it. Is this part of being a pro? I think so, some others here have the same defintion. Will I let a few words make me feel less than professional? Not in your life! The only one that can make me feel less professional is ME! Just insert your name in the me part and think about that!

See you topside! John

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom