What could possibly go wrong Saga Part 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Part 1 and 2 are recorded here if you have not read them yet ...
http://www.scubaboard.com/t88211-.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/t88233-.html
(for that matter they are there if you have read them...)

After my first 2 boating “successes” which both happened to involve being towed back to shore (see the first 2 stories in the “saga”) I decided that the key to my success did not lie in the idea of sail power, but rather in the words of the immortal “Tim the Tool Man Taylor” success rested in the idea of “More Power” [add grunts]… I was able to pick up a 6hp outboard motor. It fit the project well as I have no clue what brand it was, somewhere in it’s past a previous owner (probably ashamed of it’s performance) had erased all markings related to it’s origins. But since it started up…sometimes… I decided it was just what I needed to make my 12ft. inflatable seaworthy. With the small motor strapped on we headed out toward rabbit Island, a small island that does not resemble a rabbit, nor does it have any rabbits on it (though legend has it that at one time it did, until they ate all the vegetation and killed themselves off) which is just off the north East coast of Oahu not far from SeaLife Park and Waimanalo. After only 20 minutes of pulling the starter cord the little engine purred into life (or growled depending on your bias toward this little boat) and with oil and gas dripping steadily from the half sealed float bowl, my adventurous brother and I began our journey seaward toward Rabbit island. This only being a test voyage (I never have any other kind in case you had not noticed) we determined to take things easy. I had my oars along, which if memory had served me right I would have simply left on the beach to avoid any further embarrassment which they might cause, and we made a remarkably uneventful trip around Rabbit Island (we only stalled once and after several minutes were able to restart the engine). With this huge success ringing in my heart (after all I had only been towed back to shore 2 out of 3 voyages now) I determined the time had come to set my eyes toward the horizon and a BIGGER boat! Assured now that my problem all along had been a lack of power I knew the course of action which I needed to follow.

Over the next year I watched the newspaper and kept my eyes open for a boat befitting my new found ability to overcome the little obstacles which the sea might put before me, and of course one which would fit in my meager budget as a poor Bible College Student. Then in the newspaper I found it – the perfect vessel for me. My Father and I went to inspect this sturdy boat as it sat in a garage out in Waianae. The man who owned it assured me that for the right owner it was a good investment. It only had slight dry rot and he had done the major work on it himself. Primarily that meant he had replaced the entire transom (it never crossed my mind to ask “why” they needed to replace the entire transom). It came with 2 100HP 1972 Evenrude outboard motors, both attached to their own fuel supplies (made from old beer kegs) At 24 ft. long I figured my father’s minivan could pull it and I made the decision to buy it. I had many grand dreams of voyages to the outer islands (it’s a good thing I was not a Scuba Diver at the time or I would have had many other impossible to fulfill visions as well).

That very week I began work on my latest project. Now mind you I had already built a small wooden boat (at least that’s what I called it - you can read about it in part 1) so how much more difficult could this be…I mean this one only needed repair – how bad could that be? I only too soon discovered the answer to that very question. Over the course of the next 18 months (or was it 2 years… kind of blurred together after awhile) I tore out all the dry rot, which included the entire cabin, much of the bow, all rails, several internal supports and anything that was not completely encased in fiberglass (which I assumed would be in fine condition underneath). Once all the bad portions had been removed I set about rebuilding. Replacing each of the parts, and even enlarging the cabin so that it was large enough for me to easily stand upright in. I then made the all important decision of what colors to use. White for the hull, bright red railings and (of course) battleship gray for the cabin. My mind had not been idle during the months I spent working on this project, I had studied more books on sailing, taken a coast guard auxiliary class and learned everything I could (especially about distress signals and rescue procedures) One of my favorite parts of the Coast guard class was learning how to take a bearing off of 2 points and triangulating your position on the chart. I took every precaution I could think of. 2 Motors, 2 fuel sources, 2 ignition sources, 1 anchor with 30ft’ of chain and 200ft of ½” nylon rope, a sea anchor as well. For distress and rescue (though what chance was there of me ever needing that again?) I had a VHF radio (registered with the FCC), CB radio (with all 40 channels) along with flares (complete with flare gun) distress flags, dye markers, food and water for 3 days, plus a pole for pushing us along in shallow water (this was replacing those “useless” oars) and “just in case” both ignition sources on the outboards failed I had a pull cord so that we could manually start the engines. For my crew I invited my college buddy “Bruce” who had even less boating experience that I did (after all I had 3 voyages under my belt now) He, unsuspectingly accepted my invitation and we headed off with the boat in tow toward Sand Island boat Ramp (Just outside of Honolulu) As we launched the boat into the water I made sure the drain plugs were in place, then we ran through a battery of tests to make sure everything was running just fine. 1/3 of the fuel was in the main tank with 2/3 in reserve (I was practicing the rule of thirds even back then) just to make sure we did not overextend ourselves. I then fired up the starboard engine – it started without a problem and purred away (literally this time) the port engine gave me a little more trouble, it turned over and over and over, but would not ignite (note to self: If something goes wrong at the beginning – STOP, don’t proceed…) Since we were not planning on going far we made the decision to proceed with the test and just leave the harbor, head 1 mile east toward Diamond Head, then return (I didn’t realize it at the time, but this mirrored the path I’d taken in part 1 of this little “saga”) Since the one engine was running smoothly and we had plenty of fuel, etc.. we headed out to sea. According to plan we motored along the coast toward Diamond Head, once in front of Waikiki Beach we turned around and began the journey back. About 5 minutes after turning for home the engine (on schedule) ran out of fuel. No need for concern, this was why 2/3 was kept in reserve… I added the fuel, turned the key and … nothing happened… no purr, not even a sputter. I held the key down and turned to see if the engine was doing anything which my eyes could see, but my ears not hear only to have my buddy ask “are the terminals on this battery supposed to melt when you start the engine up?” I quickly discontinued applying pressure to the key and went “aft” to see what he meant. There sitting in a liquid state were 2 pools of molten lead which at one point had been the posts on the battery. I knew instinctively (ok – it was OBVIOUS) that this did not look quite “right”. Removing the cover from the engine I quickly spotted the problem – the starter motor had never dis-engaged after we started the engine before leaving and had burned itself out. Still not dissuaded I turned to my third option (the second being the engine which did not start at the beginning of the trip) – my third option was the pull cord I had fashioned. I placed it around the fly-wheel of the engine, took firm hold of the handle with both hands and putting all my considerable weight into it I pulled as hard as I could… the fly-wheel turned ¼ of a turn, not even enough to think about starting. For the first time I wondered if maybe I should have practiced this ahead of time… After 2 more, equally disappointing, tries I realized the futility of this meathod for starting the engine. To this day I wonder why they even have those “deceptive” slots on the fly-wheel for hand starting a motor this large? I learned that starting a 100hp motor is much more difficult than a 6hp motor. In the mean-time my buddy (who never get’s flustered over anything) had thrown the sea-anchor over to keep us from drifting further out to sea, and I noticed that I was in almost exactly the same spot I had been stranded in with my 12’ inflatable sailboat from my first adventure at sea. The idea that more power was the answer had been as helpful as the new paint job was in granting us a successful voyage.

(continued in next post)

As I looked around I hesitantly turned to the idea of once more being towed into shore (not eagerly mind you, but I did not see an alternative). I picked up the radio and turning to the emergency channel I called for help. Within moments a voice crackled back “what is your location?” Now this I was ready for – I pulled out my maps of the area, my compass and other charting tools. Took a bearing….took it again ….. and again … you know it’s a lot harder to do this on a pitching boat than it was in the classroom I began to realize… the voice crackled back again “Can you give us your location?” “Just a minute” I replied “I’m trying to triangulate our position for the first time” … The voice once again (with just a hint in it that said “oh boy are these guys new”) asked “Can you just tell me what you see?” “I see the hotel with the rainbow on it.” Was my reply. “We know right where you are and will be there in approximately 20 minutes.”

Meanwhile my buddy had taken a stack of cards out of his pocket with scripture verses on them - He carried them with him everywhere and whenever he had a free moment would work at memorizing scripture. He handed me one to work on. It only took a few moments before I realized there was another issue about boating that did not set well with me – Sea sickness. Just as a hint for those of you who also suffer from this, memorizing scripture verses from little slips of paper in tiny print while tossing about in 3 ft. swells is not the best way contain your lunch in your belly. I quickly gave up on that idea, and left him to continue studying by himself, while I looked to the horizon.

Before the coast guard had even left port we heard another voice chime in on the radio “We’re just off your bow and will be glad to lend an assist” So the coast guard was called off and these friendly folks threw me a line to tie off and prepare for another of my usual “return” trips via someone else’s hospitality. Upon arriving back at the pier I offered them the only thing I could think of as my way of saying thank you (after all I had spent my last dollar just filling the tanks with gasoline) “Would you like the remainder of my fuel? I’m not planning on using it again…” “no thanks, just glad to help.” Came their reply - I offered what little thanks I could for their kindness, then my buddy and I began the task of trailering the boat and heading home.

Through all of this my buddy never complained or showed any sign of concern, however he did happen to mention one thing . . . “Please don’t invite me next time…” was all he said. I understood, I was not sure I wanted to invite myself next time.

I learned many lessons from these boating trips, some I’d rather forget, but my education in boating was now at it’s end for the time being – Boating and I do not mix well, thus to this day I have a decided preference for “shore dives” and while I’ve been on many boats since, I have left the “captaining” (is there such a word?) to others who are much more qualified and have a disaster record that is less than 75%....

Of course a little Zodiac should be quite safe shouldn’t it? Maybe a 20hp motor… and aluminum oars this time, not wood… of course all painted … “battleship gray”…

Aloha, Tim

P.S. If you are able to draw lessons from this feel free to share them, just make sure you laugh first - lol

I found this picture in case anyone is interested - I'm sitting on the deck (the other guy is a friend of the family) Sorry - no pics of the other two (of course now I wish I had pictures of that sailboat lol)

I'm telling you, I love these stories, the 1st ones still the best. Remind me to never ever go boating with you or even near you.

Knight1989:
I'm telling you, I love these stories, the 1st ones still the best. Remind me to never ever go boating with you or even near you.

I have a lot of friends that agree... can't really blame them I guess. My only comfort is that these stories were all about 15+ years ago :wink: so hopefully I've learned my lesson...lol

Tim

That is just sooooo fun to read. I'm glad that you made it back in one piece EVERY time. Not so sure I'd go out on a boat with you, but I would like to sit around a campfire and hear some of your stories!!!!

You do have more, don't you?
Please say yes.....

These stories have brightened my day. You and I and Murphy would get along very well. I will have to tell you the tales of trying to break my horse someday. :)

well you have used all the murphy's laws in your adventures at being a boat captain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom