What did you buy but eventually replaced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretty much everything that's been mentioned above, and additionally: a 7mm wetsuit and a layering system of skins, rash guards, etc. that never actually kept me warm in New England or California... with a drysuit. That switch remains one of the best diving equipment decisions I've ever made.

Originally I balked at the cost of an LED, went to halogen bulb because they were cheaper. What I should have done spent extra $$ up front because in long run would have saved money not having to replace it. Didn't really think about that since was brand new to diving.

Same goes for the computer. Thought console was way to go, but after going wrist won't go back. I saved right off the bat not replacing something I would have regretted later after few dives.

Owning you own gear is great but I'd say get a few dives in, ask around, and get some advice from other divers before you buy anything. Ask the last diver I met wreck diving. He just lost his second Halcion reel. Said he'd never buy that brand again. Darn thing didn't stay clipped and essentially brand new fell off by the time he exited the wreck. We heard about that reel for the rest of the boat trip.

Reg: apeks xtx 20 - xtx 100
BC: Seaquest Balance to Halcyon Infinity
Fins: Mares Xstream to Technisub Stratos
Mask: Oceanic Neo to Atomic Subframe to Scubapro Marin
Mesh Bag: Oceanic to Xs Scuba

All this diving thing is breaking my bank :(

Almost everything thing i first bought on impulse before really researching and joining SB.

Bought a used back-inflate on eBay. Used it a couple of times then switched to a BP/W

My first mask had a purge valve, I recently switched to one without.

Bought a used Mares reg set. Quickly upgraded to an Edge set with a brass & glass spg.

I'm on my 3rd computer(all wrist mounted). All still work. Aeris Atmos Pro(originally a console, but I bought a wrist mount for it) to a Suunto Gekko to an Oceanic Veo 3.0.

Moved my compass to a wrist boot.

Most recently, I upgraded to a dive caddy.

Snorkel, 'nuff said.

I still use my original fins though.

Besides the obvious of buying better stuff as an upgrade, the downgrades that I had was...

Had a decent knife, almost never used it. When it is time to get accessorize wife's gear, got her a EMT shear instead. Much cheaper.
Use to dive with my TAG dive watch, wore it just because I wanted to put it to what it is intended for. One time, crown must have not been fully screwed down and it got ruined. Now I just dive with a Luminox all SS dive watch. Heck, my wife just flooded her Citizen Ecodive and she's wearing one of my Suunto heartrate/altimeter watch.

replaced jacket bc with bp/w
mask
dive knife
split fins back to normal
have a console mount comp, but now i want air integrated wrist mount

I have only been diving for 4 months and this is all that I have replaced so far. Like most, I should have done research first.

My original gear set:
Mares origin sport at BC
Oceanic Alpha with cdx5
Aeris Atmos 2 console
Dirt Cheap 3mm wetsuit, forget the brand.
4 al80 tanks
$65 dry snorkel

My current gear set:
DRIS BP/W with hog stainless backplate, STA, Hogarthian harness, and 28lb wing
Atomic Z2 regs
Suunto Vyper
Lp95 tanks
Bare 3mm and Henderson 5mm farmer john and jacket.
Replaced my rusty "stainless" dive knife with titanium ocean master knife I got off craigslist.
$65 snorkel now belongs to king Neptune, lost on OW training dive.
Gopro Hero with head mount

And the list keeps going.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Dentures.

I've been fortunate + careful, so I have not lost ant piece of gear through my (up to now) 82 dives.
However, my fins (Cressi Frog) are now worn-out and a replacement should be near.
The other item that I should replace is my dive knife. The steel with which it's made resulted far from being stainless, so after every sea water dive I have to disassemble and polish to clean the rust marks. I'm a bit tired of this.
My Farmer John is a gift from a friend. It should have more that 30 years. It's already worn-out from the outside nylon cover, though it's not broken. I'm also tired to reglue the joints after every dive excursion.
Finally my gloves. I always dive with gloves. The finger tips have many repairs (that's why I use them, to avoid that my fingers being broken).
I also would like a newer reg set. I have an old Dacor 900 + Pacer 2nds. Though the work pretty well, they are heavy. Those new Titanium 2nds are so light and smoth.

I got better luck, didn't have to replace too many pieces. Must say major thanks to all of you here for the great advices. Here is a few things I replaced:

1. DiveRite Transplate harness > DiveRite basic harness, one of the best decision, so much simpler while getting the job done.
2. DiveRite basic harness webbing > H webbing. As much as I like the basic harness, I hate the DR webbing, too slopping, D-ring move around
3. Hollis DC2/212/Neo > Atomic T1x on long hose & HOG 2nd on bungee. One of the best decision.
4. Intova wide beam light > intova narrow beam > dorcy 220 > hollis LED5, finally a decent light for my usage.

The rest, I pretty much got it right the first time. SS BP, Oxycheq single wing, Halcyon Evolve double wing, LM 21W HID, DUI CF200, all so far so good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom