What did you buy but eventually replaced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like threads like these,
Is there really any need for a knife at this stage of the game.

Highflier

PS. Thanks for all the comments, It would be great if ppl could add if they upgraded cause unsatified, vs just time to replace worn outdated stuff.

After going through about 6 or 8 knives over the years, I now buy wooden handled, short kitchen knives with a serrated edge on one side. I grind and sharpen both sides and use an old sheath from.....I think a Riffe knife I had. You will change knives a LOT but mainly because they get lost easy.

I think the only pieces of original equipment I still own are

My Atomic Frameless Mask
Scubapro MK17 G250V singles reg
Light Monkey 21W HID light canister

The splits became Jet fins
the BCD a BP/W
the FLX 50/50 DUI became a TLS 350
the HP00 Worthington doubles became Faber LP85's
The Aladin Prime computer became a Tech 2G

Ah ... I just remembered ... I DO have one piece of equipment that I started out with ... a snorkel that I paid $8 for. It's sitting on a shelf, and about the only time I use it is when I teach OW class ...

I replace my equipment for an assortment of reasons ... some wears out (DC and DUI drysuits) or breaks (TUSA BCD, both Suunto and both Oceanic computers) ... some because I discover something about it that I don't like (Cochran and Dive Rite computers, Northern Diver and Fusion drysuits) ... and some just because my interests change over time, and I purchase equipment to accommodate those changes (Apollo biofins and Dive Rite Transplate).

I've been fortunate that most of the equipment I've purchased over the years served me well for a time ... even the stuff I eventually decided I didn't really like ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This is a variation on a theme, but I was looking at a few threads in the New Diver section and questions regarding gear. Then I began thinking about all of the gear I bought when I started diving then realized it was either not necessary or need to be replaced. Of all the money I could have saved off the bat.

I did go straight to a back inflate BC so did not have to replace a jacket style BC.

Lost my dive knife on my first dive. After that I no longer buy expensive titanium dive knives, I buy cheapest steel knife I can find under $20 and closer to $10. Very high likelihood of surrendering to King Neptune at some point, would prefer to donate something cheap.

Snorkel, need I say more? $65 waste of money.

Split fins, well ... actually happy with mine but after all the post on split fin haters thinking maybe should invest in blade fin as well. (maybe free dive fins if ever get a chance demo them with Dan Volker)

Dive lights, I'm now changing all my xenon/halogen bulb lights to LED lights. Added benefit is I can also use the LED's topside as flashlight. It's amazing how well they work at my barbecue at night !!

I almost bought a console dive computer. I'm so glad I didn't because now I want a wrist mounted air integrated computer. You don't really know what you want or need for your style of diving until you've had a few dives or been exposed to other dive gear.

So, for all of you veteran and newbies alike, any advice for others on what to skip or buy to avoid the cost of having to replace later?

Like you I went straight to a back inflate BC, the arguably top of the line Zeagle ranger. Love it. Guess what? I replaced it with a stainless steel backplate and wing system in less than 6 months. Love that even more.

Got the Biofins, arguably the best made split fins and yup, you guess it. Replaced it with the Jetfins so I can learn precision positioning. And yes, I love that even more.

Got a standard Hollis with octo set. And yup, that was being replaced with a long hose and necklace and you guessed it too, love it even more.

Got a sea hunt big ass serrated knife and that wa now replaced with a tiny cutter attached to my belt. And yes, I loved it even more.

Got a nice snorkel too, and replaced that with invisible one. Learnt that the invisible snorkel was more practical for scuba diving. :D

So why did I replace them? I had an open mind, learnt about new stuff, tried them, made sense and yup, made the change.

I think the only pieces of original equipment I still own are

My Atomic Frameless Mask
Scubapro MK17 G250V singles reg
Light Monkey 21W HID light canister

The splits became Jet fins
the BCD a BP/W
the FLX 50/50 DUI became a TLS 350
the HP00 Worthington doubles became Faber LP85's
The Aladin Prime computer became a Tech 2G

Oh I also still have my roll up snorkel, which I still use sometime when snorkeling with the turtles ;-).

[h=2]What did you buy but eventually replaced?[/h]

Everything except my wife.

I have a large collection used gear in the basement that I use for show n tell.

The only thing I have replaced is my back inflate and went with a BP/W. I like my computer in the console (Suunto Vyper) and my mask is one I picked up in the early 90s. My dive knife? One I found diving a couple of years ago!

Jacket BCD --> Sidemount BCD
Yoke reg and airsource 3 --> 2 DIN regs
5 and 7mm wetsuits --> Drysuit
split fins --> blade fins
5mm gloves (wore them out) --> a new pair at twice the price :wink:
AI computer --> trimix computer and analog pressure gauges
small hand held lights --> two can lights (HID and LED)
Mask --> I still have it and I liked itl so much I now carry a spare exactly the same!

I replace very little, most of it is re-purposed. Some as back up, some for my sons, a stash in LA for So Cal diving, working on a stash for NH (Maine diving), etc....

I did toss some cheap safe seconds (for normal 2nd stages), replaced standard length hoses with DIR length (no, I am not DIR) and sold my Ranger (too big).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom