What Did You Self-Teach Yourself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they are teaching a PADI course, then it is in the standards to teach it that way...and if it is in the standards, then they are exposing themselves to lawsuits by doing things differently.

Tom

The 'standards' govern what you must teach, but do not impose limitations on instructors adding other training...as long as it does not become a 'performance requirement' for completion of the course.

So, I can teach drysuit control of buoyancy...box ticked.
Then I can teach BCD bouyancy...
Then the student can opt for which method most suits them.

The only reason PADI opt for the drysuit control of bouyancy is because drysuit is a popular course with novice/newly certified divers in cold water areas - and, as such, those divers have more difficulty controlling the bouyancy of 2 devices simultaneously.

The only reason PADI opt for the drysuit control of bouyancy is because drysuit is a popular course with novice/newly certified divers in cold water areas - and, as such, those divers have more difficulty controlling the bouyancy of 2 devices simultaneously.

This isn't really a PADI issue. Several drysuit manufacturers also recommend using the drysuit to control buoyancy. In a properly weighted recreational diver, it makes little difference since you won't need a whole lot of air either way. In an overweighted diver ... or a diver using large cylinders or doubles, there can be considerable drawbacks to using the drysuit for buoyancy control.

There was a pretty good discussion on this topic recently.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This isn't really a PADI issue. Several drysuit manufacturers also recommend using the drysuit to control buoyancy.

ha ha...they can recommend what they want. ;-)

For me....I have a Buoyancy Control Device....and that is the Device that I use to Control my Buoyancy.

It is far better suited to the task.

My Drysuit...is an exposure Suit that keeps me Dry. It is well suited to that task. I add air to it, to stop it pinching me.

In a properly weighted recreational diver, it makes little difference since you won't need a whole lot of air either way. In an overweighted diver ... or a diver using large cylinders or doubles, there can be considerable drawbacks to using the drysuit for buoyancy control.

I think it is a matter of personal opinion...and what suits the diver best. I can see why some people like to use the suit for buoyancy, and I understand why I don't. I teach both methods and let the student decide for themselves.

ha ha...they can recommend what they want. ;-)

For me....I have a Buoyancy Control Device....and that is the Device that I use to Control my Buoyancy.

It is far better suited to the task.

My Drysuit...is an exposure Suit that keeps me Dry. It is well suited to that task. I add air to it, to stop it pinching me.

I think it is a matter of personal opinion...and what suits the diver best. I can see why some people like to use the suit for buoyancy, and I understand why I don't. I teach both methods and let the student decide for themselves.

Not sure I'm following you here. At a certain level I agree with you ... I prefer using my wing for buoyancy control. On the other hand, if you're diving doubles or large singles (like a 130), the buoyancy swing between a full cylinder and an empty one can be significant (nearly 20 lbs buoyancy swing with double 130's). Putting a bubble that large in your drysuit isn't advisable ... no matter what your preference is. Circumstances there dictate using your wing.

Also, some drysuit/undergarment combinations are going to want you to use more air in your drysuit than others. Again, it doesn't boil down to personal preference, it boils down to equipment considerations.

Teaching both methods is well and good as long as you teach the pros and cons of either approach, and describe under what circumstances one method may be preferable to the other. These are not things I learned in a class, or by reading manufacturer's literature ... they're things I learned by experimentation. It should be stuff that gets covered in a class.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom