What do damaged ears feel like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yah, I figure I am just hosed. A dive buddy here has an ENT that is supposed to actually know something about diving, but from what I have read about tinnitus in general I am kind of in a no-fix situation.

No aspirins here.

If it was a mild perforation you may recover. I had tinnitus (ringing) for a week or so afterward my perforation from karate. It wore off in about a week, with some infrequent re-occurrences. After about a month the re-occourences stopped completely. I even went for a hearing test and my hearing is as good as ever.

Best of luck.

Sounds like you're stuck on shore until you figure out exactly what's wrong.
Any problem with your ears (especially for divers) should be taken seriously. I had a really bad ear infection last year that I probably got from either diving or my local pool. It took about four months 'till my hearing was back to normal.

There is a difference between air coming out of your ear and a squeaky sound that makes you think air is coming out of your ear. Either could be happening. Any doc can tell you if there is a hole, any doc with dive medicine knowledge can probably tell you how to help equalize if it is a medical issue. I would call DAN even if you are not a member or find a dive doc and ask them. I have had ear problems all my life and have learned how to dive safely. An easy hour is better than a tough life time!

If it was a mild perforation you may recover. I had tinnitus (ringing) for a week or so afterward my perforation from karate. It wore off in about a week, with some infrequent re-occurrences. After about a month the re-occourences stopped completely. I even went for a hearing test and my hearing is as good as ever.

Best of luck.

Thanks. This is a bit more serious than that I think, but honestly who knows.
My hearing was perfect in the hearing test, just a high-pitched ringing left, and sometimes the "full" feeling in one or both ears, and pain when I press the lobe or the top gristly part of the ear.

EDIT: Sorry to hijack the thread with my own woes here :)

Thanks. This is a bit more serious than that I think, but honestly who knows.
My hearing was perfect in the hearing test, just a high-pitched ringing left, and sometimes the "full" feeling in one or both ears, and pain when I press the lobe or the top gristly part of the ear.

EDIT: Sorry to hijack the thread with my own woes here :)

I feel for ya! I have permanent ringing due to years of pre-diving abuse. Playing loud rock guitar for years and working in the Autobody business for 10 plus years (air hammers, grinders etc.) just did a number on me. From what I understand tinnitus is caused by actually breaking off the tiny hairs, cillia, and once that happens nothing can be one. The more that break off the worse it is. Oh well good thing hearing aid technology is improving :) Lesson to all take care of those ears and protect them don't do what I did!

Back
Top Bottom